Please sign in to post.

Venice to Airport

We have a 6:30 AM flight back to the US from Venice and was wondering the best way and how long it would take to get to the airport (Marco Polo) from where we'll be staying near the Rialto Bridge.

Posted by
20 posts

You can take a look at Alilaguna's website

http://www.alilaguna.it/

I'm not sure what time they start, but I assume you'd need to be at the airport 2-3 hours before if flying internationally.

Posted by
103 posts

Marco Polo airport does not open til 5:00 A.M. They are quick and efficient, so no worries.. however we stayed at a hotel only a few mins. from the airport that provided a complimentary shuttle service. The Marriott Courtyard is wonderful.. a little pricey ( $165.US) a night. offers wake up calls, in room coffee.. a HUGE bathtub and a bed that cannot be described! Their b'fast starts at 4:30 a.m. so it's an option for you.

Posted by
531 posts

Yes--check the Alilaguna's site and also consider a water taxi. That form of transportation is more expensive, but also the fastest (about 30 minutes from the Rialto area). The Alilaguna now has service from the Rialto area, but you'll have to check to see if it runs as early as you need it (4 a.m.?).

Posted by
705 posts

I looked at all the options to get to the airport when I was in Venice last March and ended up going to Roma Plaza and getting a cab. It was easy to get to by vaporetto, convenient, quick and reasonably piced and dropped me right at the departure door. The ride took about 20 - 30 minutes. I can't remeber exactly. I have heard, and I may be wrong, but the water taxi stops quite a way from the terminal.

Posted by
531 posts

Where the water taxis drop you off is about a 10 minute easy walk from the terminal.

Posted by
32 posts

We just did this a couple of weeks ago. we had 6 in our party, and had to leave the hotel at 5 a.m. to catch a 7:00 international flight home. Our hotel booked a private water taxi for us. They were right on time, handled out luggage on and off the taxi, and it took about 30 minutes. the cost for 6 plus baggage was 130 euros. It was well worth it for us. You don't need to get there all that early. Like Rick said, he gets to the airport about an hour early and does fine. We did have a walk from where the taxi dropped us off, but it wasn't bad. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Posted by
1 posts

I used the Alilaguna water bus service yesterday morning from the San Marco stop. The first boat leaves Venice at 7:40 in the morning and the trip is 50 minutes. You will have to use another form of transporation at that time of morning.

Posted by
2 posts

Check the schedule to be sure at the time of your trave. We were about to schedule a water taxi (for the 6:30 AM flight). Desk clerk at the hotel asked why we were doing that. At her suggestion, we ended up taking the vaporetto (water bus) to Piazalle Roma (plaza at the train station). Took the local bus from there to the airport. Very inexpensive and got us to the airport in time for our flight.

Posted by
1005 posts

We took a water taxi from our hotel near the Rialto bridge to Marco Polo in July 2005 on our last visit to Venice. It was very slick and easy. The water taxi dropped us off at the landing and there was a free shuttle bus that took us to the terminal. Does anybody know if this free shuttle is still running? I thought I read in Rick S. book that they may reinstate it this year, so I assumed that it must have been eliminated. We are going to Italy this summer and spending 3 days in Venice at the end of our trip and flying home again from Marco Polo. Anybody know about this shuttle?