Please sign in to post.

September or October

Which is a better time to visit? I have previously gone in May, and thought the weather was perfect. I prefer less tourists!

Posted by
10344 posts

You said fewer tourists: that would be October rather than September. I've been in or near those cities from the 2nd week of Sept to early October, with generally good weather during that period. Sometime between mid Sept and end of October the weather starts to transition from better to not as good. But it's difficult to generalize, you never really know about the weather. You can get the last 10 years weather data neatly summarized for you here http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp, put in each location and the from/to date and you'll get good comparisons based on facts instead of opinions.

Posted by
525 posts

I don't know if the time change is in September or October but it will make for a shorter day for sightseeing after they come off daylight time.

Posted by
74 posts

Summer time ends on October 25, 2009.... you'll be ok.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd go with October. Italy's high season prices usually extend through September. Weather is still great in October and the crowds are mostly gone.

Posted by
255 posts

We've been twice in October.....2002 and 2008. Weather was really good both times. Mostly warm days, cool nights and not much rain.

Posted by
74 posts

I'd also qualify the 'crowds are mostly gone' comment... "no crowd" in cities like Florence and Rome are still very crowded by most people's standards...

Posted by
1158 posts

October is less crowdy, but there are still long lines at some museums such as Ufizzi in Florence, Vatican.

Posted by
7737 posts

The big difference I've noticed between May and Sept/Oct is that May is a lot greener and flowerier. And the evenings are longer in May since you're only one month away from the June 21 solstice.

Posted by
1170 posts

I have it on good authority that October is the time to go. My neighbor here in Dallas lives full time in Italy. I usually go in May, but she says that October is beautiful, and that is the time to see Tuscany, when the grapes are being harvested.

Posted by
206 posts

October is good. Weather still good. However, note that the beach resorts close or are starting to close up for the season on both coasts. We always found a place though. (One hotel around Gaeta actually had to turn the hot water back on).

Posted by
1883 posts

Shoot - I went Oct 31- Nov 7 and had great weather.
Expect a rain shower and cooler temps....and the sun does set a bit earlier, but it's still easy to get in a full day of sightseeing if you start by 9AM.

Posted by
100 posts

We went last week of September/first week of October and it was fabulous. CT and Rome was warm enough still for short sleeves during the day and Venice/Florence I needed a sweater is all most days. It did NOT seem like tons of people either-very nice. More into Fall like some mentioned, it's also nicer to get lower rates.

Posted by
40 posts

We went in mid September last year-there were fewer tourists,shorter line ups,and the weather was nice during the day,but quite cool at night-I would have taken a light jacket if I had known how cool it would be.It was perfect for sightseeing and walking-I can't IMAGINE going in mid summer!