Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome

Later this March we will be heading from Venice to Rome via car. We need to make the trip in one day but are looking for advice on the must see sites along the way and the best stops to grab a bite to eat. Thanks!

Posted by
934 posts

If there are 2 of you why not drop the car in Venice and take the train.It would probable be cheaper.You could stop along the way in Orvieto if you wanted to.

Posted by
3 posts

The purpose of the trip is for Photography so we were hoping for some scenic suggestions. Also we did not want to take all our gear on the train.

Posted by
32212 posts

Whitney,

If you're driving from Venice to Rome, I don't think you'll have time to visit any "sites along the way".

I agree with the previous post from Jack, in that it would be a much better idea to drop the Car in Venice and take one of the fast trains, especially given the fact that you only have one day for the journey. The Michelin Guide indicates the distance from Venice to Rome is 543 kM and travel time is about 05H:49M. However, I can tell you from experience that driving in Europe usually takes far longer than the estimates state.

If you're going to be getting off the Motorways and use the more scenic roads for Photography, this will increase your travel time considerably.

Happy travels!

Posted by
52 posts

Hi Whitney,

You'll be going through Orvieto. I'd recommend parking there and taking the funicular up to the town. There is a great facade on the church, great views once you're up there, and really nice people. You could get some great photos in a very short time. And, you'll be there when there are longer shadows, and the best warm lighting.

The drive will be 9 hours or so...start early and you should be fine.

Darryl