Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help, please!

Having trouble working out a itinerary - so far it's picking up car at airport in
Rome - spending 2 nites in Orvieto - 4 in Tuscany area (Greve) - 2 in CT -
1 nite somewhere? on way back to Rome - drop off car at airport - spend 3 nites in Rome - any suggestions or is this too unrealistic? Help please!

Posted by
3313 posts

It;s reasonable. I'd just add a day to one of your stops. No point in packing and unpacking for just one night between the CT and Rome. But I would also suggest dropping your car somewhere in Tuscany before you go to the CT. Maybe the Pisa airport. There's only limited parking in the CT and no point having your car while you're there. They're much easier to get to by train.

Posted by
1201 posts

As Doug says get rid of the car before the CT, if not Pisa then try La Spezia. Frankly, you might want to train to Orvieto and get the car there.

Add the extra night to Rome.

Posted by
29 posts

The train to Orvieto is simple and surely would beat having to drive in Rome!

Posted by
126 posts

I am in complete agreement with train to Orvieto. A lot easier than the car hastle! Spend the extra night in Rome.

Posted by
251 posts

I would agree on two things: 1) that you should add your extra night to one of the places you are visiting (I would recommend Rome or CT), and 2) that you should find a place to drop off your car before going to Cinque Terre and just use the train from there on out.

P.S. While staying in Orvieto be sure to drive over to visit Civita di Bagnoregio since it's right there. It's worth a visit-

Posted by
18 posts

I suggest you forget the car period. We just got back and used the high speed train from Venice to Florence then to Rome which worked great. Once you get to each area, your a walk away from everything. You have a tight schedule so why waste time driving. Plus, they drive crazy, which could drive you crazy.

Posted by
77 posts

Spend the extra night in Rome, there is so much to see and do, I spent 3 days last year and only saw a few things, and we were running all over! Rent the car for Tuscany, you will enjoy it so much more!

Posted by
32219 posts

Lynn,

I definitely agree with the others on a few points. It would be much better to pick up the car in Orvieto rather than the airport. Take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini and then train from there to Orvieto (it's a very short trip, about an hour or so). Arrange the car rental for the second day that you'll be in Orvieto, so that you'll be able to take a short trip to Civita or other places in that area, but won't have to pay for the one day that you're not using it. Also, keeps Rick's advice in mind - he stated on his TV show that authorities "penalize" people that bring Cars into Orvieto (high parking charges or whatever?).

When you arrive in Orvieto, buy a Funicular ticket at the Tabachi (good for 70 minutes I believe) and then take the short ride up to town. Depending on which Hotel you choose, you should be able to walk there from the Funicular station easily.

When you arrive in the Cinque Terre, you might consider parking the car at La Spezia as there's a parking lot there. Check the Italy book for details. On your way back to Rome, drop the car in Orvieto and then take the train back to Termini.

Be sure to read the posts here regarding the dreaded "ZTL" (Zona Traffico Limitato) zones that exist in many cities in Italy. Florence and Arezzo have been mentioned, but there are many others.

Finally, in addtion to a good Map, you may want to consider packing along a GPS unit.

I also agree that it would be good to add the extra night in Rome. There is SO much to see there!

Happy travels!

Posted by
155 posts

Hi, Lynn

I am driving from Florence area to the CT. I plan to drop my car off in La Spezia, which is outside of the CT. Then I will take the local train to one of the cities.

I am taking the train back to Rome.

Have fun :)