Please sign in to post.

Naples to Pompeii

Hi there!

How do I get to the ruins at Pompeii from Naples and back again? Thanks!

Cheers from the Emerald City!
-Sandra

Posted by
6898 posts

Take the Trenitalia train to the Naples main station (Garibaldi). Go downstairs and change to the Circumvesuviana train system (www.vesuviana.com). Take the Circumvesuviana train to the Pompei-Scavi Villa Misteri stop. You are steps away from the ruins. I don't think that you can purchase the Circumvesuviana tickets in advance. It's a local train with no seat reservations.

Posted by
32220 posts

Sandra,

To add to Larry's excellent reply, be sure to wear your Money Belt when travelling on the Circumvesuviana, as it has a bit of a "reputation". Also, don't be shocked at the appearance of the trains - they're not exactly "sleek and modern" but they will get you to Pompeii.

When you approach the entrance and ticket booths at Pompeii, you may be approached by Guides offering their services. Your choice on whether to use them or not. I'd suggest booking one of the Guides listed in Rick's books (Gaetano Manfredi is outstanding!).

Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

And be sure to go to the correct train track. There are four lines (if memory serves) and not all of them go to the Pompeii ruins.