Please sign in to post.

Tower of Pisa

Has anyone climbed the tower? Is is worth the fee?

Posted by
277 posts

I have a totally different opinion, which I guess makes the world go round. Pisa, to me, was a waste of time. Big deal a tower that leans. There are plenty of other wonderful sights to see.

Posted by
7209 posts

Differing opinion here...we loved it and thought it was a great day-trip from Florence. It was fun to actually see the tower in person. Once you get to the top you realize just how "leaning" it actually is.

Posted by
6898 posts

For many, the leaning tower is a "must see" if you are close by. Most train runs from Florence to the CT will stop or change trains in Pisa. Big regrets if you're that close and don't get to see something you've known about since childhood. Aside from the tower and adjoining historical grounds, there's really nothing else to see in Pisa. It's a 30-minute walk from the train station to the tower. A 4-hour visit should be enough. It took us that long because we had lunch on the way back to the train station. During the high tourist season, there could be a long line to climb the tower.

Posted by
267 posts

we stopped on our way from the ct to florence. walked from the train station did not climb the tower but thought it was worth seeing once. had a great pizza and white house wine on the way back to the station at the pisa cafe. we were gald we made this little side trip. good luck :):)

Posted by
9 posts

Absolutely "yes" for our family. We enjoyed climbing this tower even though we have climbed a lot of towers/monuments. There is something special about the tower in Pisa. It is a different experience because it is leaning.

We also greatly enjoyed the Baptistery and the docent singing with her echo. That musical experience in the Baptistery was one of the highlights of our entire trip.

Posted by
7737 posts

We didn't climb the tower and I don't regret it. But I agree with the comment about the docent singing in the Baptistery. It's amazing because of the acoustics. She can sing harmony with herself because of the long "hang time" for sounds.

Posted by
115 posts

I agree with Bruce, its a nice little sidetrip on the way to CT. Good for a couple of hours, but is an amusement park, with all the souvenier stands.

Posted by
11507 posts

Went there 25 years ago,, I was young, and frankly, we did in fact shake our heads and think why did we bother.. At that time we could not go up it, ( closed for repairs or something) and we could not go in the church beside it,( we were dressed in summery clothes, shorts and tanks I think , hey we were young kids, and it was hot as hades,, LOL . So, yes , I saw it,, and yes, I kind of went "wow, it really does lean over",, but, if I had to do it again I would not make an effort to go and see it.I do to this day still recall the tacky lamps that were being hawked by peddlers , all shaped like the Leaning Tower, but NEON colored,, LOL

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to everyone for your responses. My mom and aunt are visiting me while I am living abroad in Italy. We are spending 2 days in Florence and they were interested in a half-day trip to see Pisa because they had always heard about. I guess when in doubt, it's best to make mamma happy! :) Thanks again.