Please sign in to post.

Itinerary questions

We are traveling to Italy late spring & are trying to figure out our itinerary. We arrive in Venice & leave from Rome. Based on Rick Steves book (as we have 14 days there) he suggests someone (not on their tour) could do Florence, Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Civita & Siena, as well as 2 more days between Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast & Paestum. We are wondering if this is too many places to visit in 14 days? It looks like a lot! Originally we were planning to spend about 3 days in each of the following: Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre & Rome, as well as a day trip from Florence to Siena & stop in Orvieto on the way from Cinque Terre to Rome. Does anyone have any suggestions on an itinerary/order to visit each place? Thank you so much!

Posted by
32220 posts

Addie,

In addition to the tips you receive here, you may want to pay a visit to Rick's headquarters in Edmonds. You'll not only have access to all the Guidebooks in the Library, but may be able to get some good information from Rick's staff.

IMO, trying to visit eight locations in 14-days is a bit ambitious. I'd suggest dropping the Amalfi coast this time and concentrating on Rome and north.

Good luck!

Posted by
109 posts

IMO that is way too much to try to squeeze into 14 days. I would consider something like this
Venice -3 nights
Tuscany - 4 nights at a lovely b&b in the countryside
with a day trip to Florence or Siena
CT- 2 nights
Rome- 4 nights

I have been every place you mention except for CT so cannot speak specifically to that but I understand it is a beautiful area.
I would think that basing yourself in the Tuscan countryside would be a nice change from the cities, but if you are especially interested in art and museums then you can stay in Florence and take a day trip out instead.
There is MORE than enough between Venice and Rome to fill every second of 2 weeks. Adding south of Rome does not do justice to any of the areas. Save that for your next trip.
Of course a lot also depends on if you will be relying on public transport or if you are willing to rent a car for part of your trip. If you base in Tuscany, you will need a car for that portion of the trip.

Posted by
891 posts

Ken and Linda are so right! You will spend a lot of your time traveling between places and not enough to enjoy each! Your plan seems much better, although some Seattle people who have said on this post that CT was not that spectacular to them because they have seen pretty coastal towns and beautiful coastal scenery. Arriving Venice & departing Rome is great. You can get over the jet lag in Venice easily. Rome needs as much time as you can give it. Have Fun.

Posted by
115 posts

I agree with most of comments save the south for another time. But we did Ricks best of Europe tour on our own and hit all the places, and I am from northern California, beautiful coastlines, but love CT. I would highly recommend that for your downtime. I also loved Sienna, and went to Florence for the side trip from Sienna as Rick recommends. Rome was exhausting,we were there for 3 days and that was plenty to see the highlights for us. Enjoyed Orvieto, and De Bagger ??? walking acroos the swinging bridge to hill on top of mountain. amazing.
Enjoy

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! It is most helpful. Based on the map (we are taking the train) would you suggest staying in Florence for 3 nights, then Cinque Terre 3 nights & stopping in Siena for an overnight trip on the way to Rome? Or...stay in Siena 3 nights & take a day trip to Florence?
Thank you again!!