Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals in Italy

Anybody rent from Europe by car? If so, what were your experiences?

http://www.ebctravel.com/

Any other recommendations or experiences?

TYIA :-)

Posted by
842 posts

We have rented from "Europcar".........they are just like Hertz, only better. We also rent from Auto Europe, which is a broker that can get you great rates from the major rental agencies in Europe.

Go to their websites and check them out.

Both highly reccomended, and everything can be taken care of in the states.......and NO hidden fees!

When I checked the rates at "Europe by Car" VS. "Auto Europe", I found that the rates were cheaper at Auto Europe, and I know that Auto Europe sites are numerous.

Posted by
365 posts

Victoria, I rented from Europe By Car in France last year. Went to pick up the car at Gare de Lyon train station in Paris. They said they had no record of my reservation. I showed them my prepaid voucher. They begrudgingly gave me a car, though a smaller car than I had paid for. No credit was offered. We are a family of four and have done this many times so I was specifically trying to avoid this very problem. Perhaps this was an isolated incident and I'm sure you'll hear from satisfied EBC customers, but this is what happened to us.

This year I have a car reserved in Rome from AutoEurope. They have a toll free number in Maine you can call if there's a problem. I'll let y'all know in a month how it went!

Posted by
4 posts

Victoria-
I just got back from Italy and used Auto Europe for my reservations. They booked me with Hertz in Rome and Florence, while they used Avis in the north of Italy. I think they provide a good service and look for the lowest rates. Their rate was better than the Avis website. I have used Avis in France on numerous occasions and was never disappointed.
All the best,
Bob

Posted by
842 posts

Hey Robert........technical question for you.........did you have an International Drivers License? Were you asked for one at each of the agency's? I never have used one, and have never been asked for one when I rent in Italy.

Posted by
2 posts

Get an International Drivers license. It's easy to do through AAA and makes the process easier. I used Hertz last year and am doing so again this year. Get a GPS navagation unit, you won't be sorry.