Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena -- Train or Bus?

Trying to plan our trip and figure out which is the best way to go from Rome to Siena. Rick's book gives both options, but doesn't really say which is easier. Any tips?

Thanks!

Posted by
831 posts

Susan,
Easier? I would guess the bus. See http://www.sena.it/

The bus leaves from Tiburtina and goes to Piazza Gramsci in Siena.

The train leaves from Termini and requires a change, probably at Chiusi, and goes to the Siena train station that is about 2km from the center. You can get a bus or taxi to the center.

Since both bus and train take about 3 hours and the bus has less hauling bags on and off I think the bus is easier.

Posted by
586 posts

Have done it both ways, but we like the bus better. Once you get out of Rome, some decent countryside views. And the bus station in Siena is walking distance, just a few blocks, to just about every hotel and Il Campo...the train station is farther and less convenient.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks for the tips. I was leaning towards the bus and I think you guys helped tip the scales. Now off to figure out other bus vs. train issues -- I'm sure I'll be posting with more questions soon. Thanks! :-)

Posted by
6898 posts

The Rome Tiburtina train station is the 2nd largest in Rome. To get there, go downstairs at Termini and take the Metro Line B to Rabibbia. Tiburtina is the 4th stop. The bus stations are across the street.

Posted by
135 posts

Another plus about the bus is that you get to see the transition from Lazio to Toscana-

The train goes "through" the hills (dark tunnels); the bus drives switchbacks over the hills (classic Italian countryside scenery). Even if you get caught in a traffic jam (which can happen on your way into siena) you'll still see so much more. Just be sure to use the WC before you get on the bus.

Posted by
103 posts

We are having this same discussion about my trip in mid-April.

Can you buy tickets for SENA buses at the station? Also, if you buy a ticket online but miss your bus, can you take a later one?

We want to head straight to Tuscany after arriving in Rome (around noon on a Thursday) and hit Rome on the way back.