Please sign in to post.

Train from Cinque Terre to Rome

Greetings from Down Under,

Is there a train that goes from Cinque Terre down the west coast of Italy, to Rome, instead of going inland? If so, how long does it take? Any hints?

Thanks.
Marie

Posted by
8700 posts

Yes, you can travel down the coast. It will take you about 5 1/2 hours to get from La Spezia to Rome. You will need to make a connection in either Pisa or Livorno. To see this for yourself, use the timetables at www.bahn.de. Choose "only local transport" and choose to go via Livorno. After you get summary timetables, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points.

Posted by
32212 posts

Marie,

There's a direct train from La Spezia to Rome, and the travel time is about four hours (It will be an Intercity train, so reservations compulsory)

It travels along the coast in the north, but eventually heads inland before arriving in Rome. It's a very easy and scenic trip as I recall.

One example (depending on what time you want to travel?) is IC503 that departs La Spezia Centrale at 07:59, arriving Roma Termini at 12:14 (runs not every day). Of course, you'll have to time this with the departure of the local train from whatever CT village you're staying in, so that you get to La Spezia at the appropriate time.

Some of the trains on that route have "changes", so be sure to check the bahn.de website to determine which train you want to take.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1358 posts

It depends on which village you are in at CT. There are "locals" which stop at every village. Be sure you ask the clerk at the RR station when you buy your ticket.

Be sure you get on the right train. I always ask someone on the platform before I board and someone in the car before I sit down, just to be sure.

If I have to change trains I always ask someone where I should get off to do so. I have found it profitable not to be bashful when I travel a system I am not familiar with.

Posted by
3313 posts

Don't worry. All of the trains in all of the five towns go to La Spezia, which is where Ken suggested getting the train to Rome. The connection does not depend on which town in the CT you are starting from.

Posted by
8700 posts

A clarification to my post above: The route I gave as shown on www.bahn.de with the "only local transport" option is on regional trains and hugs the coast all the way from La Spezia to Rome. You would go La Spezia-Pisa-Livorno-Civitavecchia-Rome.

Posted by
100 posts

We took a train from Vernazza to La Spezia and then all the way to Rome, without changing trains. It was about 4 hours or so, like someone said. Very, very scenic, especially areas that go along the coast. Just barely touches on Tuscany landscape. Then at the end turns inland to Rome. Along the ocean coast, you can see where all the cruise ships dock for Rome.

Posted by
100 posts

We took a train from Vernazza to La Spezia and then all the way to Rome, without changing trains. It was about 4 hours or so, like someone said. Very, very scenic, especially areas that go along the coast. Just barely touches on Tuscany landscape. Then at the end turns inland to Rome. Along the ocean coast, you can see where all the cruise ships dock for Rome. We got our reservations the day before. We ALSO made doubly sure we were on the correct train, etc. as well as getting off at the correct spot. Lots of people (tourists) ask.