Please sign in to post.

travel

we will be staying in rome for 10days and want to see sorrento, pompaii, venice, orvieto and florence. we are planing to spend 1 nite in venice, 1 in orvieto. we are not sure if we can see sorrento and pompaii as a day trip by train or bus. Can you give some advice here?

sharon

Posted by
31 posts

Sharon,
Trying to do Pompeii as a day trip from Rome is a nightmare. We considered it, but then decided to stay in Pompeii for two nights. The train (you have to take a train from Rome to Naples and then a commuter-like train from Naples to Pompeii) takes about 3 hours-- if everything goes right. And, travel by train in Italy has a way of its own. Our train from Rome to Naples, for instance, was delayed by two hours. Besides the ruins, Pompeii isn't such an exciting place, but if the ruins are important to you, you should stay close by for at least one night.

Posted by
1201 posts

More details please.

Flying in and out of Rome?

7 nights rome and 1 Venice and 1 Orvieto?

Personally Venice from Rome for only one night doesn't seem worth the effort.

Posted by
4 posts

Susan,

Thank you for your insights about pompaii travel. My sister who i am traveling with has never been there and really wants to see it. Since we also want to see sorento-maybe we should stay there for 1 nite.

we are flying in and out of Rome.

thank you

Posted by
4 posts

Ron
yes we are flying in and out of rome. we will spend 1 nite in venice and 1 in orvieto. we are trying to see as much as we can in the time we have. Both my sister and I have been to italy in past-tho I have never seen venice and she has not seen sorrento and pompaii-hense the attempt to see these areas.
thanks much
sharon

Posted by
8293 posts

Sharon. rather than going to Pompeii, think about Ostia Antica, a short distance from Rome, and many think it is equally as interesting as Pompeii. Google it and see what you think. I've been to both and I'd be hard put to decide which was more worthwhile to visit.

Posted by
4 posts

thank you Norma-I will look at your suggestion
sharon

Posted by
1449 posts

since you want to see Sorrento, you can see Pompeii on the way. You take the hi-speed train in the morning to Naples, then get on the local Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. Along the way get off at Pompeii and check your baggage at the station. Spend a few hours there, then get on the train towards Sorrento for the 30-minute or so journey.

Enjoy dinner there, a nice evening stroll, and then return to Rome the next day. If you're adventurous you could even consider taking the hydrofoil back to Naples instead of the train.

Personally, I think you're trying to cover a bit too much distance in 10 days. If it were me, I'd drop Venice and spend 2 nites in Sorrento. The 1st day you use going to Pompeii and ending up in Sorrento, the 2nd day exploring the Amalfi coast (Positano, etc). Sorrento is so charming you might want to spend 3 nites in the area!!

You write "we are trying to see as much as we can in the time we have". That's one way to travel; another is to see less in quantity but more in quality. I'd recommend the latter...

Posted by
1158 posts

You can do Venice in one day if you get there in the morning.It's about 5 hours from Rome.
Or go from Rome to Florence, then Venice.
Sorrento and Pompeii can be a day trip, if you don't really want to sepnd much time in Sorrento. Never been there, but I know it's a small city.
I took a trip to Italy last year for 10 days and I went to more cities than you are planning. Milan, Geneva, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples (half day). I had 7 days to see Rome, but I only needed 4 or 5. I walked most of the time even went to a mall outside of Rome, so I saw a large part of Rome.

Posted by
501 posts

I've done Pompeii as a day trip from Rome. I had a great time. We hired Gaetano Manfredi as a guide. We had packed a picnic lunch and had a picnic while we were there. I think you could add Herculaneum too.

We had plenty of time when we got back to Naples to eat pizza at Da Michele before returning to Rome.

I have also done Ostia Antica as a day trip from Rome and it is a wonderful place to visit as well.