Please sign in to post.

Italian trains

I have found European trains to be amazingly on time. However I have heard that that does not hold true for Italian trains, including the local train from La Spezia through Cinque Terre. Does anyone have any advice or comments about their experiences that I can learn from??

Posted by
23267 posts

I have not had any experience with LaSpezia/CT but our experience with other Italian trains - Rome, Florence, Venice, Milano, etc. have always been on time + - a few minutes if it was an inbetween stop.

Posted by
9099 posts

In years past, Italian trains did have on-time problems. But nowadays, the Eurostar and other fast Intercity trains have a good on-time record.

Posted by
247 posts

The trains on the national train lines (Trenitalia) are generally on time. The regional trains or local trains (Cinque Terre, Circumvesuviana) can be late.

Posted by
3580 posts

My experience with the local CT trains is that they are often late. Don't plan on making tight connections. I would allow at least 30 min if trying to make a connection with another train.

Posted by
3313 posts

I agree about the local trains serving the CT. They didn't keep to schedule when I was there in 2007. For that matter, we had delayson trains between Lucca and Florence as well.

Posted by
39 posts

In October, 2008, we often had CT trains be up to 10 minutes late. We also had a deley somewhere between La Spezia and Venice, but not significant.

Randy

Posted by
1358 posts

We spent a week in CT and traveled the locals every day to other villages. Trains were as much as 15 minutes late on that route.

Only advice is to adjust to that problem and enjoy your stay. It's fun just to talk with other travelers who will be locals as well as other Europeans. Even some Pawtucketers.