Please sign in to post.

Itinery help for Aussies

We are 2 Aussie couples around 50yo and travelling for around 7 weeks in Europe August 2009. I have spent hours reading this website and it’s been a great reading so far, so thank you all. We start in London for 4 days and have to leave from London. (yes I know open jaw more efficient but its already purchased) Then to Paris 3-4 days, train to Switzerland and do a scenic train trip. Then head south to Cinque Terre for 3-4 days. As we head to Rome for 3 days will probably do Venice and Florence along the way. Here’s where I get a bit unsure. We would like to do 1 week in Athens+ Greek Islands and also 1 week on a Croatia cruise out of Split or Dubrovnik on an old sailing ship. The cruises are round trips back to original ports. We then fly back to UK (maybe Manchester) and visit relatives for about 1 week until we leave. This plan is completely changeable except London is fixed. We will travel by train in Europe and car hire in UK, though would be happy to drive in French or Italy countryside. We are also happy to fly between destinations to save time. Should we see fewer places and enjoy a B&B say in France or Italy? Or do you think our longer stops (Croatia, Greece is enough) We like doing stuff like mixing with locals, surf, snorkel or windsurf rather than museums and churches. Perhaps a really nice B&B in the French or Italy countryside. Is Croatia cruise a bit too similar to the Greek islands? Sorry this is so long winded but any comments would be appreciated. Cheers Steve.

Posted by
410 posts

Hi Steve - I think you need to think more about the countries you want to visit and what you want to do there. You say you like mixing with the locals, surfing, winsdurfing and snorkeling but these, aside from mixing with the locals, are not generally the reasons people go to Europe and are far more easily and cheaply done in Australia or the Pacific. Mixing with the locals is a tough one, and one we have never managed to do with any great success. Locals typically don´t seek out tourists to chat to.

We did a 7 week trip from Australia several years ago - a week in London, about 10 days in France,a few days in Switzerland and the rest in several several different parts of Italy. Italy being the focus of the trip. Our preference is not to move around too much and in that timeframe, have a couple of one week stays. August will also be hot so a cruise might be great to do. I cannot comment on the cruises - not sure I would do 2 cruises in 7 weeks but that is very much a personal choice. Both could be wonderful.

Just one comment on driving, especially in Italy. It is impossible to avoid the motorways and they can be rather scary. The italians drive incredibly fast and very agressively.

If it were me I would go to fewer countries but that is something only you can decide. I would eliminate at least one or more from Italy, France, Greece, Switzerland and Croatia and probably choose 2 continental european countries to be the focal points of the trip. But that is just me. I know 7 weeks seems a long time but you are talking about 6 countries in that time, including in some multiple destinations.

Posted by
705 posts

Agree with Liz I think you are trying to cram too much into your trip. Do allow for travelling from A to B - often a couple of hours stretches out if you get lost or can't take the route you planned. If museums and churches aren't your thing then maybe concentrate on the coastal towns. The CT is lovely as is the south of France. The beaches may not be what you expect but I am sure you will enjoy them.

In regards to driving - they do drive on the wrong side of the road and quite fast. Also in a lot of towns cars are not allowed in the historic centre and trying to find parking can be challenging.

Personally I would leave out Venice as it is sort of out of the way. It would be easier to go down the coast from CT to Florence and down to Rome. I would also take out either Greece or Croatia.

Good luck making your decisions and let's hope the exchange rate improves.

Posted by
7737 posts

In my experience Italians are, as a rule, not particularly friendly with strangers in the way we Americans and Aussies would think of as friendly, unless you speak Italian. And even then, it's easier for younger people to make friends than it is for people our age (around 50). More likely you'll have fun meeting fellow English speakers who are traveling on your cruise ship.