Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Italy to Switzerland

I need to find a car rental agency at a train station between Perugia and Florence. Also I'm looking for advice for travel from the same general area to Interlaken, ending in Gimmelwald. I plan to use the train of course.
Starting in Florence, we will need a car for a few days in Umbria, then we will head north via train to Interlaken. I would like to avoid driving in any large cities to pick up and drop off the car. Thank you.

Posted by
32222 posts

Debbie,

I can't help with the car rental question. I normally let my travel agent book rentals.

However, the trip from Firenze S.M.N. to Interlaken Ost is fairly easy. There will be 2 - 3 changes, depending on which train you choose. The shortest travel time I could find is a train leaving Florence at 08:09, arriving Interlaken Ost at 14:28 (Time 6H09M, 2 changes in Milano and Spiez, reservations compulsory).

When you arrive at Interlaken Ost, go into the station and purchase a ticket to Gimmelwald (this includes all modes of transport). The method I used was to take the Berner Oberland (yellow & blue) train to Lauterbrunnen (I vaguely recall that it's necessary to board specific cars as the train "splits" at some point?), walk across the street from the station to board the yellow Post Bus to Stechelberg and then take the Gondola to Gimmelwald (which is the first stop). On the return trip, buy the same tickets at the Gimmelwald Lift station. If you're using a Rail Pass that includes Switzerland, I believe these tickets are discounted.

Happy travels!

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you, Ken. It's nice to have specific information regarding ticketing and which darn bus to get on!! I know that it's all in Rick's Switzerland book but I always need more specifics. We don't use buses at all at home(we live way out in the country, no buses here, except for school) and using the bus in Europe has always baffled me just a little!

If anyone has any ideas about the car rental, I'm still searching. I would like to rent as close to Florence as possible without going into town, or even to the airport, in close proximity to a train station.

Thanks.

Posted by
32222 posts

Debbie,

It's not hard to find the Post Bus, as it's bright yellow. When the train arrives in Lauterbrunnen, walk across the street (slightly uphill). The Buses seemed to be "timed" to coincide with the arrival of the train. The Driver sometimes turns around at the end of the street before allowing passengers to board. It's just as described in the Switzerland book.

When you arrive in Stechelberg, you'll be dropped off right at the base of the Gondola. You'll have to climb a flight of stairs and go through a Turnstile to board the Gondola. Don't be surprised if there's a Hopper full of concrete or other construction materials in the Gondola!

The first climb into Gimmelwald is quite steep (don't worry about the height, the view of the value is gorgeous!). When you disembark in Gimmelwald, it's only about a one minute walk to most lodgings (where are you staying?)

Renting a Car outside of Florence is a really good idea, so that you don't encounter the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato zones and get a nasty surprise in the mail a few months after you get home!

Cheers!

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks again Ken. We're skiers and have skiied in Italy and Switzerland several times so the cable car thing is quite familiar. I have to say though that I've never seen concrete on the cable car in St. Moritz! :) That will definitely be new. But yes I understand that the cable car is the main mode of transport into the higher elevations(have you ever driven on any of those narrow switchback roads? Yikes!)

I'm sure I'll find the bus with your excellent description.

Still working on the car...we'll be visiting a town called Gubbio in Umbria for the Festa dei Ceri in May and you definitely need wheels up there. BTW if anyone is reading this who has ever thought about going to the Festa, by all means, do. It's a wonderful festival, goes on for days, has lots of history, and Gubbio is one of the finest medieval towns in Italy. It's beautiful and the people are warm and friendly and so very helpful. We were told when we were there last year by locals that Rick has visited Gubbio but for some reason does not include the Festa or Gubbio in the Italy guide book. The town is a little bit out of the way, but Umbria is just gorgeous(it's green and doesn't turn all brown and dusty like Tuscany does in the summer)and there is tons of history there, besides being just an hour or two from the Adriatic.

Still looking for a car rental agency! Help anybody!!

Thanks all.