Please sign in to post.

Trip To Europe

Couple questions regarding a June trip to Europe with my 3 kids. We will have 3 days in London, 4 in Paris, and 4 in Rome. I plan on taking the train from London to Paris, but should I fly to Rome from Paris? They have the overnight train, but it's about 15 hours, and we'll lose a lot of time. Other suggestions? I'm SO new at this, never having been to Europe, but I planned on each of us having a backpack, but since we'll be at hotels each of the nights (except possibly on a train from P to R), would you suggest the carry-on, wheeled luggage? My girls, 16 and 14, like to shop, so hopefully, we can most of our stuff in Rome and not have to schlep it all over the place.

Posted by
32318 posts

Nancy,

Your timing appears reasonable for such a short trip. However, I was wondering if the 3 days in London includes the flight day? You'll be jet lagged and not up to "full speed" for a day or two. Plan your touring in each city carefully so as not to waste ANY time!

Due to the fact that "I'm SO new at this", I also was curious on whether you've read Europe Through The Back Door? It would be a good idea!

The EuroStar leaves from London St. Pancras Station (which is newly renovated), so be sure to research the Tube connections from whichever area of London you'll be staying. When you arrive in France (Gare du Nord, I believe) you can also use the Metro to reach your Hotel.

I normally travel with a Backpack and a small Daypack, and find that to be far easier for getting around stations than a wheeled bag (especially where there are lots of stairs), and also easier for getting around airports.

YES, using budget air to travel from Paris to Rome is an excellent idea, given the distance and especially the short time frame of your trip. I'd suggest using Paris CDG and Roma Fiumicino airports (some budgets use out-of-the-way airports). Both Air Berlin and Vueling fly that route (there may be others?). I checked fares on one airline - about 70€ each in June (a bit expensive but considering cost & time for trains, worth it IMHO). Be sure to note terms & conditions when booking!

Use RER rail or Shuttle from Paris to CDG (ask your Hotel to arrange Shuttle a few days before departure) and Leonardo Express from FCO into Roma Termini (11€ each & about 30 min.) - don't forget to validate tickets!

It would absolutely be best to make any purchases in Rome, as the budget airlines have VERY restrictive baggage limits and if you buy items in London or Paris, you'll PAY on the way to Rome!

Happy travels!

Posted by
16 posts

SO helpful, Ken. Thanks! I've already written notes on your suggestions, so I really appreciate all that you wrote.

Posted by
12313 posts

Nancy,

Everything I would have said was said by Ken.

I would definitely fly from Paris to Rome because otherwise it takes a lot of valuable travel time.

I travel with a daypack inside my carry-on on planes so I'm carrying only one item at a time. When I'm settled at a destination, I carry the daypack (nothing valuable inside) for daily touring. Most true backpacks don't fit the carry-on restrictions (they are too long). If you find one that does, let me know. The convertible carry-ons by Rick, Ebags or others seem to be the best bet for carrying on without wheels within the carry-on limits.

When I traveled with my kids, we flew home open-jaw out of Rome. They bought most of their prizes there and also bought a duffle bag from a street vendor to check for the flight home. The rest of the time we had one carry-on each.

Another option is to pack extra light on the way over with the idea of purchasing an outfit or two in Europe to wear and bring home as souvenirs. I don't advocate ditching clothes while there unless you donate them to charity.

Posted by
466 posts

I took the overnight train from Paris to Rome 2 years ago. Yes, It takes some time but at least when you are asleep, you are travelling. I believe we left Paris at 7:00PM and arrived in Rome at 10:00am You have to sleep at night anyway, so to me I wasn't wasting time. Have fun!!!

Posted by
331 posts

We took an overnight from Nice to Paris and my daughters (12+14)loved it. Although time wise flying may sound great, you do need to add in waiting time at the airport, waiting for baggage, getting to the airport etc. Plus, you are saving 1 night hotel accomodation and it is Fun for kids to sleep on the train. I would suggest you pick up a copy of "Take Your Kids to Europe (safely and sanely)". We did the "backpack" thing and found it Very Easy. and the kids were responsible for carrying their own gear. Have Fun !

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks to everyone who replied. It is very helpful, and I'm going to plan on taking a train to Rome. One more thing, if you see this, I already booked hotel rooms for London and Rome through Expedia, but would you suggest waiting to get to the city to purchase train tickets or ordering them prior.

Thanks again!

Posted by
4 posts

I think you should arrange some transportation service.
You can book for shuttles in Paris London and Rome at http://www.airport-shuttle.com
I have used this service in Paris and Rome .
It is better then the bus and cheaper then taxi