Please sign in to post.

Rome in January

I need some advice. I am thinking of a short trip to Rome from January 14 to 21, 2009. What should I expect weather and sighting seeing wise?

Posted by
2207 posts

January is cold in Rome - but it's also a GREAT time to visit. Last year the rains did not start until early February so the month of January was brisk but beautiful! In addition, all the sites are open and NOT crowded. I live next to the Vatican Museum and in January I visited often. Many times I would be the last person in the Sistine Chapel... and would have 15-20 minutes alone in this great room. At 5:30 PM the guards DO start herding you!

Rome is an outdoor city, but dressed warmly you can certainly enjoy it. January is also a month my wife likes as all the sales are happening - up to 70% off in some stores! So yes, the flight costs are usually better, the streets are less crowded, and many XMAS decorations (like at St. Peter's) stay up till later in the month.... so come on over!

Posted by
934 posts

I was in Rome the 2nd week of January.It was cool at night but in the 60s in the daytime.We ate at outdoor cafes that had heaters.Warmer is better but the crowds are down.I saw David in October with 200 other people and I saw it again in January with 3 of us.Well worth the weather difference.