Please sign in to post.

Traveling with a toddler

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy in March with our 1 year old son. Rick's advice on traveling with young children has more than reassured me that we can do this, however, our return flight leaves Rome at 730. To my knowledge the only way to get to the airport on time would be to hire a shuttle. We are not planning on bringing a car seat as we will be using public transport the entire time. Are there shuttles that are more like buses so we will not need a car seat or are they private cars/vans? I've done some research on the web, but most seem to be private cars. I of course want my baby to be safe, but it would be nice not to have to lug around a car seat just for the return trip to the airport. Any help recommending a good company would be most appreciated. Thank You!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Safety aside, you are not required to use a carseat in a taxi, paid car , or shuttle or bus. Of course it would be best to use one, but it would be hard to haul one around just for one ride. I would be more likely to want to take a shuttle BUS rather then a car service as statistically you have a less of a chance being in an accident in a bus, and more of a chance of surving it( buses being bigger and slower then cars).

Posted by
319 posts

I worried myself sick about the same thing when we went to Ireland. We went carseat less in a taxi from the airport to downtown. It was just fine. Shuttles are often vans or small busses. You can email the hotel and get specifics. You could also ask the hotel if they have a carseat for you to use for the shuttle. Maybe one of the workers has one in thier car and is really nice...
As for traveling with a 1 year old. My daughter is 19 months now. We've been traveling Europe since she was born. It is getting more difficult now that she wants to walk on her own all the time and is only taking one nap a day. But we've had a lot of fun. In April I went Florence with my best friend and her son who is the same age as my daughter. The babies had a lot of fun. They even enjoyed some of the art.

Posted by
8946 posts

Oh, that short trip around the block without a car seat will be ok. Really?? Would you do this at home? If not, why would you do it in another country? Seriously, most car accidents happen within 5 miles of your home. Have you never seen how they drive in Italy? I sure wouldn't take my baby in a car without a car seat. Buses and vans get in accidents too.

First you need to find out what the law is in Italy about car seats. It may be illegal not to have a child in a car seat. If this is true, then you will most likely be able to order a taxi with a car seat. This is easily done in Germany, so should also be possible in Italy.

As to flying, putting your child in a car seat on the plane is also safer and believe me, much easier on the parents too. Or are you gonna be ok holding a one year old for hours at a time.

At the end of the day you will need to weigh the slight inconvenience of a schlepping a car seat around against the safety of your child. I know which one I would pick.

Posted by
671 posts

I'm with Jo on this one. We are having a car for part of our trip, but we are still bringing our own (instead of renting) for the plane and will lug them around when we don't have a car (public transportation the last 5 days). I have ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1227580787&sr=8-1 . It is a strap that works with your latch straps to attach to your luggage.

I feel better having my two and five year olds in their seats on the plane- those seatbelts/seats weren't designed for the little ones!

Posted by
3313 posts

This is a no-win question on this board. You can get practical advice about traveling without a car seat. But you (and those who try to help you) will be attacked for child endangerment.

We took our daughter at 5 mos with a car seat for our rental car. We did not use it on the plane (they're too big for airplane seats) nor for the shuttle in. Car seats are designed to fit in cars with appropriate anchor points. Those don't exist in airplane seats or shuttle buses.

Short of leaving your child at home with grandparents, I don't know what you're alternatives are. By the way, our daughter went back at age 4 and had a terrific experience. No car seat on the plane then, either.

Posted by
671 posts

Doug, we've used carseats a couple times on the plane. Some are labeled as certified for airplane usage (don't have the exact wording in front of me, though), and only those can be used onboard.

Posted by
11507 posts

VERY good point. Carseats do save lives if installed properly. Most front facing carseats have to be tethered to seat back. MOst taxis will not have a tether bolt installed.
We did take our tiny carseat ( the ones for babies under 20 pounds, that faces backwards and does need only a lap belt to install), it did double duty as a place for baby to sleep and eat in comfort.
It has been a few years since I have used carseats( youngest is twelve now) so I imagine things have changed.

The law in Canada, and the States as far as I know( in Hawaii in States anyways) exempts taxis from carseat use , I imagine it is similar in serveral countries. It is risky, but many of us were raised before anyone used carseats, so while we all AGREE they are wonderful, the best plan to keep baby safe, etc etc,, and , no I would not " go around the corner at home" without one, if I had to get in a taxi or bus without one I would and I did. I would prefer a bus, and in fact it is buses are of course exempt from carseat use,, as they don't have seatbelts for anyone!

Take a carseat if you can, but for only one drive, I would just get a shuttle buse and be done with it.
One point I think Jo brought up, is that yes, it is easier to handle a 1 yr old in a plane with a carseat, they will sleep in better.