Please sign in to post.

24 hours in Venice

Hi - we want to take the water "bus" from the Venice airport to our hotel on the Grand Canal. The hotel is across the grand canal from the train station. What is the easiest way to do this? Is the signage pretty self explanatory?

Also, in Venice we arrive midday after an overnight flight from the states. I'm guessing we'll be pretty tired. Should we arrange for a tour that afternoon that takes us around the city via boat so we're sitting - I'm guessing my kids might be a little off kilter to do a lot of walking. We leave Venice midday the next day for Rome so we only have some time the following morning to visit as well.

We do want to see the Jewish Ghetto and all of the "BIG" sites.

Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
7209 posts

So you don't really have 24 hours in Venice. You have time in the airport, then more time on the slow Alilaguna, more time walking to your hotel and dragging your luggage, then finally you end up at your hotel. You'll probably arrive just about the time the floods of tourists from cruise ships and other daytrippers arrive.

You've chosen to cut your Venice trip wayyy to short. The best thing for you to do is just to book yourself a water taxi straight to your hotel:

https://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

Posted by
3177 posts

Ouch! It hurts to think of spending so little time in La Serenissima! Even if it costs an additional night’s lodging for your family, consider spending a second night in Venice. If you can’t, I would take the Grand Canal cruise as described in Ricks Italy guidebook, using the vaperetto. I would then schedule a tour (many listed in the book) for the next morning when everyone is a bit more rested.

Posted by
585 posts

From the airport you take either a water taxi or the Allaguna water bus. For a group of you the water taxi may prove cheaper but it can be expensive..... but what a great way to arrive in Venice!

The quickest way from the airport into Venice is by bus to Piazzale Roma, also the cheapest. Go to the ATVO no. 2 stop right outside the terminal It’s €8 one way; buy ticket inside terminal or right at bus stop. luggage is stored beneath the bus.

The water “bus”, the vaporetto, does not go to the airport.

Piazzale Rome is on the same side of the Grand Canal as your hotel. Ask your hotel to send you a map of how to reach them. The ghetto is close to the train station so, for convenience you might want to drop your luggage at the baggage storage in the station either on arrival or the morning you leave; just pack everything you need for the overnight in a separate bag if you do the former.

Big sites? San Marco is the opposite end of the Grand Canal and Rialto Bridge is closer to it. Maybe visit the ghetto when you first arrive, it’s not too much of a walk. And then Go early morning to San Marco and avoid the crowds...take the vaporetto, the No. 1 from Piazzale Roma. Takes about 35 minutes to make the trip down the canal as it stops at every stop. No 2 is a bit quicker, less stops, make sure you get the one going to San Marco. It is well signposted.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all!! I realize our time in Venice is short. Was not intentional :-( . My hope is to take the water bus from the airport to the hotel. And I like the idea of the Venice water taxi tour. What other tips or ideas do you all have. I’ve read there are secrets to getting fair priced gondola rides but can I get one for five people? And if not or yes, what are the “secrets”? I hear they see Americans coming and their prices get crazy high .... thanks again!!

Posted by
1230 posts

Whether you are American (either from North America or South America), Armenian, Australian or Austrian, a gondola will cost you 80 euro for half an hour. That is the cost for the boat, not per person. The price is fixed.

Taka a land bus to your hotel, it will save at least three quarters of an hour.

Posted by
1230 posts

There are few tours that take you aroud the city while sitting. You can take a water bus, aka vaporetto, and maybe get a seat, but more likely not.

Maybe Gian Luca might work for you.
https://www.vivivenezia.org/