Please sign in to post.

Suggestions on Week 2 week travel to Venice,CT,Flor, then Greece and Turkey

This may be a bit much, but we were planning on going to Greece and Turkey for 2 weeks in late April, but some friends I work with have encouraged me to stop in Italy first, visiting Venice, Cinque Terra, and Florence (totaly 5 days), then ferry over (from one of those places) to Turkey, see Ephesis (1 day) , ferry over to Samos (3 nights) and Santorini (3 nights), then finish in Athens (2 nights)and fly home. Whew. For those of you experienced travelers, is that just too much in 2 weeks? What would be your suggestions on order of visiting? Thanks so so much ~ any help is appreciated! gina

Posted by
319 posts

What about a cruise? You could do some sight seeing in Italy before you get on the boat. We did a week long cruise to greece in April 2006 that left from Venice. We went with Costa Cruises. It's an Italian line, and only 10% of the guests spoke English. With all the traveling you have planned for Greece, I would consider a cruise. I know you spend less time in each port, but I feel like we got a good taste of Greece.

Posted by
466 posts

I think the only place to catch the ferry to Greese is from Brindisi which is way down in the heel of the boot. I could be wrong, but I think that is the only place to catch it?????? Anyone else know???? I would skip Cinque Terra and do Venice, Florence and Rome. Much more to see in Florence and Rome than in Cinque Terra.

Posted by
1158 posts

Gina,

It's not too much, I would be able to do more
In Samos and Santorini you don't need so much time, just a day should be enough, unless you want to enjoy the sun and beaches in April.
I would stay 3 days in Athens. Also Venice you can do in 1 day, Cinque Terre is depends what you want to do. If you enjoy hiking, then 2-3 days would be fine. Rome would be nice to add on your itinerary. Turkey: I would go to Istambul at least a day.It's evry cool.
I did Milan, Genova, Pisa, Florence , Rome and Naples in 11 days with 6 days left for Rome.

Posted by
192 posts

I would say that you have way too much for 2 weeks. I have been to all the places you have mentioned (except Ephesis) and spent at least a week in each place. Each time you change locations you can count on almost a full day of travel - when you consider changing hotels and travel to and from the train station or ferry dock. If you want to spend 5 days in Italy spend them all in Venice, then (as the previous poster suggested) take the overnight ferry to Corfu. Then just visit Santorini and Athens. Good luck.