Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast in October

Am traveling to the coast in Oct. 2009...any suggestions for inexpensive, but nice lodging in any of the coastal towns? Also, restaurant recommendations would be great! Love to eat well!!

Posted by
32318 posts

Maria,

You might considering using Sorrento as a "base" for exploring the Amalfi coast. It has good transportation links, both north to Naples via the Circumvesuviana or using Bus to other locations (Positano). Also good access to boats to Capri.

One restaurant that I would highly recommend in Sorrento is L'Antica Trattoria. It's listed in Rick's book as a "splurge" and it certainly was, but the food was superb! Check their web site to have a look at the Menus.

Happy travels!

Posted by
33 posts

Didn't expect such an immediate response. Thank you so much, Ken. This will be my first time to southern Italy, birthplace of my grandparents and I'm already counting the days. I've previously visited only the northern and central regions, which are unbelievable! Trouble is, I never want to leave.

Your suggestion is most helpful and I will do some in depth research.

Thanks again, fellow traveler!

Posted by
400 posts

Hi Maria, we just returned from touring northern & central Italy ourselves and am already planning our next trip which we now want to include southern Italy also. After doing some research, I will pass on to you what I found. I did agree that having Sorrento as a home base is the best. We also are on a very strick budget and that area is very expensive. I can not see going to Sorrento though and staying inland, away from the ocean. I wanted a place that could offer me a beautiful view, good food and a welcoming attitude. After much research, I found Hotel II Nido. Rick Steves does not include them in his book and I don't know why but they have everything I was looking for at a very reasonable price. Dinners in their restaurant are also suppose to be excellent and inexpensive compared to other establishments any where in the area. Tripadvisor.com rated them #4 out of 113 establishments. Their charge as of this year was 90 Euros per day including a breakfast buffet that was raved about. They are located in a convenient location and right on the ocean!! Hope this helps you.

Posted by
32318 posts

Maria,

I almost forgot - you asked about "nice lodgings". One small Hotel in Sorrento you might want to have a look at is Hotel Desiree. It's a short walk outside the main downtown centre, but not really too far.

The Hotel is a "classic RS" property - not overly luxurious but very clean, safe and affordable, and the owners are wonderful! There's a beautiful rooftop terrace, accessible via a spiral staircase. It's a great location to sit in the late afternoon sun with a glass of Vino and look over the ocean!

There's another Hotel next to that, and the restaurant there has the most incredible view of the harbour in Sorrento (and any cruise ships that might be docked at the time). The other Hotel is called La Tonnarella (as I recall), and they share beach access with Hotel Desiree.

Given the family history you mentioned, I'm assuming that you speak Italian? Which area did your Grandparents come from? I've been trying to learn for a few years now, and am considering spending a few months (probably in the north) in an immersion setting.

I share the same problem as you described when visiting Italy (as do many others here on the Helpline) - I don't want to leave!

Ciao!