Please sign in to post.

Athens to Rome - not flying

It may be here someplace, but I can’t find it……what is the best way from Athens to Rome besides flying?? Friends heading to Athens from Turkey arriving Oct 20 or so need a little help ASAP. I am thinking ferry to Bari and train to Rome…but beyond that, any hints? Thanks.

Posted by
7569 posts

You basically have it, the main route is Train or bus from Athens to Patras on the west coast of the Peloponnese, Night Ferry to Bari, Bus up to the Train Station, Train from Bari to Rome. Figure a good 24 to 30 hours of travel and 150 euro to 250 euro per person.

Posted by
174 posts

Thom,
Be careful with the ferries, they are somewhat hard to get accurate schedules. I am in Firenze now and we were trying to take the ferry to Athens, however its significantly cheaper and easier to fly. You can take easyjet to Milano and then take the EUROSTAR to Roma if you want, or you can fly via Aegean Air directly to Roma.

The ferries, from what local travel agents have told us, cost at least 150 each way and are overnight ferries lasting about 10-12 hours. Once you get to the port it's around 30-40EURO to get to Rome.

We are flying roundtrip from Milano for 180EURO.