Please sign in to post.

travel tips

I just returned from Italy. I had an inexpensive compass that was absolutely invaluable in Venice. I was able to navigate the winding passageways simply by following my compass. It was much easier than trying to follow a map.

Also, anyone going to Italy, should always have 1 euros in their pockets for the inevitable restroom break.

For anyone that enjoys touring palaces, the Pitti Palace in Florence is fabulous.

In Venice, meander the back streets and see a completely different Venice. The island of Murano is also a nice break from the maddening crowds.

Posted by
7737 posts

We've had a compass both times we've gone to Italy and found it invaluable for those times when you get turned around and have no idea what direction to go.

Posted by
189 posts

Good advice. Also, the standing joke about Italy became "Take away or eat here" in our family. Take away is cheaper, but don't think you can sit and drink your very overpriced coke at the empty seat staring at you. We had several sellers of such overpriced drinks (5 euros for our son's Coke, 2 euros for our wine - go figure!) actually yell at us. When ordering water, even tap water, make sure they understand you because they will overcharge you for obvious tap water as well. Take a water bottle and fill up at any one of the nice fountains in abundance all over Italy.

Posted by
12172 posts

I bought a small plastic compass designed to go on your watchband. I wear it when I travel and it works great, takes up no room because it rides on my watchband and I don't have to remember to carry it with me. It's good enough quality to give reliable directions without being something you would use with a navigation chart.