Please sign in to post.

train or plane?

I need to get From Rome to Florence. I have been told that getting around the smaller cities in Europe is sometimes cheaper to fly. Any advice on how to research this?

Posted by
151 posts

It is very cheap to fly from city to city unless you don't want to be on an itinerary. Try Alitalia for air fares, they are OK, but try googling "fly air one" they have cheap fares and they are related to Lufthansa. We are flying in July from city to city because it just doesn't pay to drive for 7-8 hours from city to city. Usually we just drive, but this trip is a bit different. Good luck!

Posted by
1127 posts

Florence is only an hour and 40 minutes from Rome by train. The train stations are located in the center of each city. If you fly you will spend more than an hour and 40 minutes in transport to/from the airport, plus the time needed to be at the airport to pass through security, etc. It doesn't make sense to fly between Rome & Florence. I would take the train unless the ride is more than about 5 hours.

Posted by
507 posts

There's really not much to research. Flying from Rome to Florence would be a better option than taking the train--it's about 90 minutes on the Eurostar (e33 second class). Even if you found a really cheap flight, getting to either of the Rome airports and then getting from the airport into Florence would push up the price of the ticket--and then having to spend the time checking in and getting throught security, etc.--wow. At least on the Rome-Florence leg, take the train from city ceenter to city center. You'll save time and money--and you'll get to see the countryside, too.

Posted by
507 posts

The second sentence of my respose should read that flying is NOT a better option--I left out the most important word!

Posted by
12 posts

I should have mentioned that I am landing in Rome, and need to get to Florence, so will already be at the airport. In hindsight, I should have paid a little more to just fly there direct....but I've already booked my flight, too late now.

Posted by
423 posts

I assume that "I've already booked the flight" you mean you've booked your flight arriving in to Rome and you then want to go directly to Florence.

As many have stated, personally, I believe the train is the better option. (The cheaper/regional airlines fly out of a different airport than FCO.)

Assuming you are arriving in Rome in the early morning (between 8-9am) you can take the 9:05 or 9:35am Leonardo Express train from FCO to Termini where you can catch the 10:30 or 10:52am train to Florence arriving 12:00 or 12:30pm.

Leonardo Express Train costs 11 Euro
EuroStar 2nd/1st class tickets cost 33/47 Euro

The train ride is beautiful.

Posted by
147 posts

Train and have lunch while doing it. The Eurostar trains are great!

Posted by
1127 posts

Even if you are landing at Fiumicino and headed directly to Florence I would take the train. Trains are fast & efficient. There are two Eurostar trains an hour between Rome and Florence. If you plane is delayed just take the next train, simple!