Please sign in to post.

Travel Bags

We will be heading off to Italy for 2 weeks at the end of October and need to get some new travel bags. Something that we can carry on. We are looking at the Rick Steves Convertible Carry on but would like to know what people really think. We haven't ever actually seen one so just some honest reviews would be great. Thanks.

Posted by
14977 posts

There are quite a few bags similar to the RS Bags....here are a few:

Ebags Weekender

Outdoor Products Essential Carryon

L.L. Bean Quickload Travel Pack

These are some that are under $100. There are more that are over. It seems that the RS Bags, Ebags Weekender and Essential Carryon are popular on this board.

Posted by
12172 posts

I use an Ebags. I've had it for at least five years (maybe eight) and it's doing really well. It's rubbed a little on one corner, otherwise looks new. It has a logical selection of pockets and zippers. It doesn't weigh much. When I bought it, it cost about half the Rick Steves model.

I've thought about getting a new bag. If I did, it would be a little smaller. I'm always looking to travel a little lighter and the bag is little more than half full when I travel (for up to 30 days) now. I weighed it for a couple of recent trips, one business and one vacation. Both times it weighed in at 15 lbs. total with everything except snacks included.

Posted by
2335 posts

Aside from checking out Rick's bags ont his site, you can go to ebags.com and compare most of the brands listed above, including Rick Steves brand. Most have reviews posted by actual customers. Each has a good selection of photos - bags open, closed, etc. - so you can get a feel for how they operate and also color selection. As for me, I have used the eBags weekend convertable for about 4 years. Two Europe trips and many stateside and it is still in great shape.

Posted by
1883 posts

I've used the Eagle Creek ORV trunk (convertible) on several trips, and it's the first bag I go to now when I pack for travel in Europe.

Hidden straps help me commute from hotel to train, while keeping my hands free to hold tickets, camera, etc.

Eagle Creek is top quality in my book. Spend just a little bit more and get a bag that will last through a lifetime of travel.

I don't believe that the company that makes Rick Steves bags are top quality, they use less expensive fabrics, and the construction of the bag isn't as good as I think it could be!

Posted by
14977 posts

I also have an Ebags Weekender and like it.

But, I'm always looking to travel lighter so I just got an Outdoor Products Essential Carryon. I haven't taken it on a trip yet, but it seems like it would be okay--and nearly 2 pounds less than the Ebags Weekender and over a pound less than the RS bag.

Posted by
17 posts

We recently came back from a three week trip to Europe and we each carried an Outdoor Essentials Carry On as our primary suitcase. It worked out great and held up just fine. None of us went over the carry on weight limit for Lufthansa and the bag was fine for fitting in the overhead compartment. For being so reasonably priced, it was a great purchase.

Posted by
252 posts

I just bought an eBag for my most recent Italy trip and was really impressed by it. I bought the wheeled version of the Weekender. It is obviously a bit heavier than the non-wheeled version, but it worked well for me.

Posted by
1449 posts

if you use the search box at the top right you can find more posts; this question comes up frequently.

Posted by
8660 posts

I've used a RS Classic Carryon Bag for six years. I'm an older traveler who travels very light and wouldn't leave home without it. It's accompanied me around Ireland, England, France, Italy, NYC, San Francisco, Portland, Boston and countless other destinations. Through good weather and bad and it still looks great. LOVE just walking off the plane and hitting the ground running.

Posted by
559 posts

I bought one for my trip to Italy this summer an I loved it! I liked being able to convert it to a backpack when I got sick of carrying it and vice versa. It certainly was roomy enough - it's really hard to tell from the photos, etc., but I was very happy with how much space I had. Enjoy!

Posted by
5 posts

Okay, I bought the Rick Steves back pack before my first trip to Eruope a few years ago, and let me tell you...

I've used it on several trips. I use it for school. I use it for work. I use it everywhere! It is SO GREAT!

I also just bought a new back pack exc for school. (I'm a college student and have an unbelievable ammount of books, remember those days?!? :) ) It's a Dakine. Wonderful bag! Lots of pockets!

Good luck with your search!