Please sign in to post.

train from Rome to Venice

Can we buy tickets at Rome airport (FCO) the day we fly in, for same day travel from Rome to Venice on the train? How is the availability the beginning of October?
Is there a discount if we book prior? By booking prior, I am afraid that we might not make train if there is a delay in the plane. Is there a discount for seniors?
Thanks so much. Have a happy and healthy.

Posted by
2207 posts

Rita,

I defer to Larry, Frank, and Kent as the train experts but since I'm on line this beautiful afternoon in Rome, sitting on my balcony, I'll take a stab at your questions.

Yes, you can buy tickets at the train station just down from C terminal at FCO. There are a few windows and some kiosks there....

The availability should be pretty open.. the film festival is over, the last regatta for a while is this weekend I believe... so it should be open. Plenty of trains running to Venice!

There is a discount for non-Eu citizens called an AMICA class ticket but you have to buy by midnight prior to departure... you could try from the States, but it will probably call you much misery as the TrenItalia site is unforgiving sometimes. And if you buy from a broker, the cost would negate the AMICA savings.

Unfortunately, if you are not an EU citizen there is no discount for seniors...

I think I got that right.. Larry, Frank, or Kent can provide more detail!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
8700 posts

When you buy your tickets at the airport for the Leonardo Express to Rome Termini, buy your tickets for Rome-Venice at the same time. You'll easily be able to determine which train to Venice you'll have time to catch. The Leonardo Express departs at 6 minutes and 36 minutes past the hour and the ride to Termini takes 31 minutes.

Posted by
7737 posts

Is it too late to fly to Venice as your destination, instead of Rome? They're not exactly close to each other. It's at least a 4 1/2 hour train ride.

Posted by
359 posts

Thank goodness for your report, Tim. From Ron's message I thought you'd passed on; but then Ron's sitting on his balcony in Rome enjoying the weather and probably a glass -that'll do anything to one's memory (lucky bug..r).

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Just wanted to cover myself. I have air from Rome to Venice and my hotel reservations there. I am flying Alitalia and thought it was possible that it would not be in business when we were flying.

have a happy and healthy

Posted by
6898 posts

Buying your Rome/Venice tickets at FCO, as suggested by Ron and Tim is best. You can buy them in advance before you depart but I would advise against this as you are heading for the train just after you arrive. Your train tickets from Rome to Venice will most likely be on a Eurostar-category train. Tickets will be specific on date, time, train number and seat selection. If you plane is late, you could miss your train. With a full-fare standard ticket, you can change to a later train within 3 hours after departure. Beyond that 3-hr window, your standard ticket is no good.

For heading for the train at Rome Termini just after arriving at FCO, follow Tim's advise. BTW, the trains between Rome and Venice depart 2-3 times an hour so don't worry about missing a train. You're just early for the next one.