Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terra

My wife and I are considering spending a few days in CT next May. We have heard stories that the terrain is too difficult for folks in their 60's. What is the ground truth?

Posted by
2342 posts

What kind of "folks in their 60's" are you? Do you have an active lifestyle (e.g., you walk a lot, go to the gym)? Are you couch potatoes? Do you have health issues that prevent you from standing or walking over uneven terrain? Do you take stairs or the elevator?

Depending on your answers, you may not be ready for the harder parts of the CT trails (Monterosso-Vernazza-Cornglia). But you might be ok on the other parts (Riomaggiore to Manarola is a flat, paved trail). I am a fit 30 something and did the entire trail North to South, and found the hard parts about average for a typical Pacific Northwest mountain hike. As for the towns, there are plenty of stairs and hills, but nothing worse than the steep parts of San Francisco.

I suspect you can find a part of the CT that meets your lifestyle. There are also many other things to do there besides hike - enjoy the views, the beach, the kick-back lifestyle. Personally, I would go there even if I couldn't hike, it's just a magical place.

Posted by
191 posts

I am sadly out of shape, in fact even though I am 23 I think some 60 year olds are in better shape! I am saying this because I hiked Cinque Terre and loved it. You don't have to hike as the other poster has said, there is so much too do. I would start with the first 2 walks and see how you do. I was there at the end of May and found it very hot, the hike was too hot and I didn't bring enough water. As I said I would recommend the first couple see how you do, maybe take the boat to all 5 towns it may be easier to judge from the boat if you can do it.

Posted by
32212 posts

Tom,

I'm in the "late 50's" age range, and hiked the trails between the five villages without too much trouble. The first two sections (Monterosso al Mare to Vernazza and Vernazza to Corniglia) are the most challenging, but if you take it slow you shouldn't have any trouble. Some of the "younger crowd" were doing the hike in flip-flops, so it can't be too hard. If starting from Monterosso, there's a bit of a climb at the beginning, but it's not too hard. The famous via del'Amore from Riomaggiore to Manarola is basically flat and paved (and there's a nice Bar / Restaurant part way along the trail). Note that to hike the trails, a Permit is required.

As someone else mentioned, be sure to take lots of water. Some parts are really beautiful, with sections through olive groves and some overlooking the ocean. When you approach the villages, you'll see the single track for the "Trenino" leading into the olive groves.

When I was last there, I was having some "foot problems" (which have now been corrected), so I'm anxious to try the hike again. I don't anticipate any problems.

Happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

The South end of the trail is very easy. The North end is steeper and narrower but not more difficult than walking up and down several flights of stairs (okay maybe five flights of stairs).

It mostly depends on your level of activity. Regardless of what you do, this is a great time to start "mall walking" to improve your overall physical condition. If you can prepare yourself for walking and climbing stairs, you will have more fun on your trip.

If you really want to avoid stairs on your trip, skip Vernazza, the whole town is pretty steep with lots of stairs. Monterosso is a little flatter (though far from flat).

Posted by
1358 posts

My wife and I, both 84 had no trouble hiking the trail. But you can choose the sections you prefer. Each one varies between the 5 villages.

Most are rated semi-difficult, but we found many parts to be easily navigated. Take some time to examine each trail before you begin.

If it seems too difficult, turn around and go back, take the train to the next village and try another trail.

The train between each one takes less than 10 minutes.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tom, I have not done the Cinque Terra, but I must comment on your concerns about terrain being too difficult for a CERTAIN AGE group.

Terrain, ( unless actually scaling mountains) cannot be AGE defined, fitness level is one thing, age another.

My dad is 74, almost 75, and he can easily out hike a person half his age!!

I do think for anyone, of any age ,, they really should be somewhat fit before any trip to any part of Europe. So much of it is enjoyed by walking, and Europeon streets are often hilly, or cobble stone,and stairs are the rule , not the exception in many places.

I went on a tour this summer on a Rick STeves family tour, and there was one family,, where the parents were younger then me,, but, they were , how to put this nicely,, "fluffy" ,, they found some of our walks difficult and complained a few times about difficulty levels. It was kind of sad, as no one else in the group had problems, and we were all fitness levels( I am not sporty at ALL , but I love to walk) so unfortunately , being out of shape did impact their enjoyment of some places.

You are young enough to enjoy the CT,,( look at Carl, he in his EIGHTIES!) and( if you are not already a big walker) you have lots of time to start a walking program at home before you go,, give you and the wife time to chat about the trip and how fun it will be. !
Don't let the age thing hold you back!

Posted by
64 posts

It is too beautiful to miss...go and take the boat from village to village and you can walk the first one which is lovers lane

Posted by
192 posts

I am in my 60's with bad knees (50 years of basketball) and hiked all the trails with no problems. When I did the hikes when I was in my 20's it was, of course, much easier, but I think I appreciated the views much more the last time I made the hike. Monterossa to Vernazza is the longest and most difficult. Bring water as it can be de-hydrating.