Please sign in to post.

22 Nights: Switzerland and Italy in Autumn 2019

Starting with arrival in Zurich our Swiss Alps itinerary is planned; allowing 2 nights in Luzern, 3 in Murren and 1 in Chur prior to taking the Bernina route to Tirano. My husband and I are almost retirees, active and appreciate a generous mix of outdoor/scenic exploration to go with varied cultural experiences...food being one. I would like to enjoy a varied and balanced itinerary in Italy. Trains will be our primary mode of transportation along with a rental car for Tuscany and/or Umbria. We've not purchased our flights yet. Would love thoughts on both options below. Much appreciated, thank you.
From Tirano: Option A
* Lake Como (2 nights)
* Camogli (2 nights)
* Florence (3 nights)
*pick up rental car for Tuscany/Umbria (Agriturismo 5 nights)
* drop car
* Rome (3 nights)
* fly home
OR
From Tirano: Option B
* Lake Como (2 nights)
* Florence (2-3 nights)
* Assisi (1-2 nights)
* Rome (3 nights)
rental car for Tuscany with stay at Agriturismo (4 nights)
** drop car at La Spezia
* train to Camogli (2 nights)
* to Milan- stay near airport night before flight home
Thinking it may be nice to distance Lake Como with Italian Riviera and to split village time with Rome in the middle.

Posted by
1580 posts

I like option A. It is better organized logistically

Posted by
11314 posts

Both options are too fast for my taste. You are racing through Switzerland and continuing that pace in Italy, except for your stay in an agriturismo.

Three nights in a location makes for a (somewhat) relaxed pace, with 4 nights for a city like Rome being the minimum. I think you should drop either Lake Como or Camogli and redistribute those nights to slow it down just a bit.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you. I had a hunch that we ought to consider choosing either Lake Como, or somewhere on the Italian Riviera. If we do, we'll work from Option A. We have wanted to see the Cinque Terre since visiting Nice many years ago. Say we drop Lake Como, where to base? It sounds like the idyllic village experience of the Cinque Terre has changed; hence we had been thinking of Camogli. Our dates are still flexible, allowing us to choose "best" days and ways to visit the area.

Posted by
11314 posts

Camogli is a good base. You can enjoy hiking on the Portofino Peninsula, ferry to San Fruttuoso, day trip to Rapallo and take the lift up to Montallegro for more walking and great views.

Posted by
48 posts

will you take me in your luggage??? hahahah just kidding...would love to do this trip; please post positive results/photos/etc!

Posted by
3551 posts

A fab itin. Maybe a little too fast paced but may I carry your bags and be your concierge?
Enjoy the planning.