Please sign in to post.

Railpass -

Which Rail pass would be the best to get for perhaps three or four train rides. One train from Rome to Santa Margarite/Portifino, another to Milan/Belligio, another from Belligio to Florence and finally back into Rome? The most convenient and least expensive. We have 13 days in country - flying out 14th day. I have a 2003 Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable and I have read Rick Steves notes but double checking my thoughts. Please advise. Thank you very much. Cindy

Posted by
4555 posts

Actually, buying point to point tickets is probably the best way to go....certainly a lot cheaper than a rail pass (especially in Italy) and, believe it or not, more flexible than a rail pass. On many Italian trains, you require a reservation in addition to your pass, an extra expense.....but, of course, if you buy point to point, it comes with a reservation. You may also be able to take advantage of some advance purchase specials when you arrive in Italy that aren't available with a rail pass. Check schedules and prices at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html . Booking in advance thru this website has proven problematic for American credit card holders, but you'll get a good idea of the prices, routes, and schedules available. Where available, Amica fares give you 20% off, and can be purchased until midnight the night before your train trip, providing any are left to sell.

Posted by
6898 posts

Cindy, you really don't need a railpass for the travel you are planning. I realize that the railpass seems so easy but your missing a couple of things. First half of trips you describe above are reached only by the least expensive trains in Italy - the Regionale or R train. For example, Milan to Varenna is 4.95Euro (you can't take a train to Bellagio. You will most likely take the train to Varenna and then ferry over to Bellagio). Next, on some runs, you will be on the Eurostar-category train (part of the Bellagio/Florence run and the Florence/Rome run). With a railpass, you have to pay an additional 18Euro to ride these trains. Thus, you need to add that onto the cost of your railpass.

For what you have described above, your P2P fare would be 118.90Euro. The best Italy Saver Pass rate for 5-7 days in 2 months is 160Euro-190Euro plus the extra 36Euro for seat reservations. Not even close. If you must go onto the Raileurope or Italiarail sites to buy tickets in advance, I suggest that you buy P2P.

Posted by
1358 posts

I always research the cost of point2point tickets vs the rail pass. The number of days you use the pass will determine the economy of buying it.

Using the webpage for the pass and for p2p tickets, estimate both costs and determine how much you are willing to pay for each.

Only one time have I bought the 5-day Swiss pass, to find out later I could have bought the p2p tickets for the same travel cheaper.

I suggest you research both methods until you are comfortable with your choice.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you Norm, Larry, & Carl the information and advise is most helpful. Can the P2P passes be purchased 9 months in advance or should we wait until May? How far in advance can we make reservations for some of the sights we'd like to see in Rome? How does this itinerary sound? Land Rome 5/26 train to Santa Margarita/Portifino 5/29 visit Cinque Terre and such train to Chiavenna/ferry to Bellagio 5/31 travel to Florence 6/1 (Hill Towns)and final leg to Rome 6/7 fly out 6/8? Is this doable? Thank you again. Cindy

Posted by
4555 posts

Purchase your point to point tickets when you arrive in Italy. From your route suggestions, I don't think you'll have any problems, especially on the regional trains. Just don't forget to ask if the Amica discount is available. And on the non-regional trains, like Florence-Rome, travel second-class....IMHO, first isn't worth the extra price.

Posted by
32318 posts

Cindy,

I'd certainly agree with the others. A Rail Pass is probably not the best or most cost effective option for the few trips you'll be taking in Italy.

Work out the details for each of the journeys you'll be taking, using either your TC Rail Timetable (which may be a bit out of date) or the bahn.de website. When you arrive at Termini, you'll be able to buy the tickets for all of your journeys at the ticket windows. As the others have suggested, second class is quite adequate. However, you'll probably want a "fast" train from Rome to Santa Margherita Ligure and Florence to Rome, due to the time and distance. Reservations will be required for those and these will be included in the cost of the tickets.

There doesn't appear to be any direct trains from Roma Termini to Santa Margherita, so I'd probably use the train that has one change in La Spezia (travel time 5H 19M, reservations compulsory for first section).

Note that Portofino does not have rail access, so you'll have to use the Bus or Boat from Santa Margherita Ligure.

Happy travels!