Please sign in to post.

Traveling by Train in Italy

We are starting our destination in Venice, traveling to Rome by train, how safe is this, should we be concern about our suitcases, how easy is to book a train from Venice to Rome

Posted by
705 posts

Very easy - takes around 5 or 6 hours depending on the type of train and the number of stops. I don't think you need to be worried about your suitcases. I have never had a problem or maybe I have just been lucky. I'm sure someone else will reply with further advice.

Posted by
504 posts

I agree with Helen. I've never had a problem on this (or any) route within Italy. Just practice due diligence and you'll be fine.

Posted by
504 posts

I'd also add that the Eurostar would be the fastest and most confortable choice of transportation on this route.

Posted by
683 posts

Trains are safe, clean (generally) and a good value.
As this is a popular route, especially for travel on Italian holidays, Fridays and weekends, it is important to get tix in advance. You dont say how long you will be in Venice. If it is several days, we would advise that you buy tix on the day of your arrival. If you are worried about buying at the stations you could use travel agents (there are many all over Italy's large cities). There are also ticket machines in the stations, which are easy to use, have instructions and windows in English,take credit cards.
BUON VIAGGIO !!!!

Posted by
65 posts

safety is not a concern...although we always pay for first class (less rowdy kids). When in Italy, we always pay the extra for reservations. We learnt this the hard way...on our trip out of Florence to Rome we were left with our luggage standing in first class...not so good. This actually happened several times, ever since we have made reservations.

The kiosks at the train stations are very easy to use. Pick your language and you are off. Be aware that the cities are named something differnt then what we are used to, for example Venice vs. Venezia Rome vs. Roma, etc.

Posted by
30 posts

No worry on the trains. We went to Italy a year ago....traveled for three weeks only on trains. We booked them ahead at a travel agency in Lake Como, which is easiest (or on the internet) as it made it alot easier than trying to buy them at each station. I usually have all my routes picked out before. Watch for the gypsies at the train stations. They are usually young girls with skirts, often holding babies. They will try and pick pocket you. Also if children come towards you....keep your purse or billfold hid away.....Just be a smart traveler. I would gladly ride the trains again in Italy.....we are 55.....
Have a wonderful tiem! Marilee