Please sign in to post.

20th Anniversary Trip Aug/Sept 2022 - Home base Salerno

Hello Experienced Travelers...

I am looking for some help planning our trip...we have a pretty agressive itinerary. Wondering if we should get a rental car or just use the train, bus, taxi & ferry options (both for cost & ease of movement since it is tourist season)

8/22- Leave LAX for Naples
8/23- Arrive in Naples
8/23- Get settled at Airbnb Salerno (8/23-8/31)
8/24- Daytrip, Paestum
8/25- Daytrip, Pompeii & Herculaneum
8/26- Daytrip, Amalfi Coast, Positano
8/27-28- Overnight trip to Capri & Ischia
8/27- Blue Grato
8/28- Ischia
8/29 Daytrip, Matero, maybe Alberobello ?
8/30 Open
8/31- Leave for Naples to catch flight to Paris

Any thoughts, reccomendations, restaurants etc. welcome...also, my husband and I are both triple vaxxed. He got Pfizer & I have Moderna....does that act as our "Green Card" or is that all we will need to be admitted? Thank you in advance!

Pam

Posted by
4452 posts

So you have a base in Salerno, but will spend the night away for half the time?
It is going to be very hot and the middle of Italian vacation time, so I'd take that into consideration.
Matera and Alberobello would be too far for a day trip to me--that is a lot of time in a car. However, the Cilento area just to the south of Paestum, is very nice.

Posted by
10 posts

valadelphia..

Thank you for the Cilento suggestion...I will look into that. The other day-trip is still a question mark for now due to distance.

Posted by
4452 posts

If you cannot alter it to change bases, then I would just take it leisurely. Unfortunately, it is not a good time of year for hiking without a super early wake up--that was my main activity along the coast. You could do a boat tour one day. Naples is a fascinating city, so you could definitely add at least one day there.

Posted by
15847 posts

Pam, this one:

8/25- Daytrip, Pompeii & Herculaneum

IMHO, too much for one day, especially in August heat. Pompeii is VAST and there's very little shade. It's not impossible to do both but given the size of Pompeii and the amount of information there to absorb, if really interested in the site, I think you'd be all in by the time you're through. We did it last time in early October and it was plenty warm THEN; spent 5 hours (not including time to and from the scavi) and still didn't cover it all. Some folks only spend 2 hours but will only see a fraction of what's there. An idea of just how large it is?

http://pompeiisites.org/en/pompeii-map/

A comprehensive guide you can use for boning up before or for reference during your visit:
http://pompeiisites.org/wp-content/uploads/A-Guide-to-the-Pompeii-Excavations-2.pdf

And another page which may be useful; it may not be 100% current as closures of individual structures can occur at any time:

http://pompeiisites.org/wp-content/uploads/mappa-1-novembre-2021-rid.jpg

All are from the OFFICIAL website for the scavi. :O)

And just a personal take on this one?

8/27-28- Overnight trip to Capri & Ischia: 8/27- Blue Grato

Capri's Blue Grotto is the closest thing to a tourist trap on the island. It can eat a lot of time/$$ for the few minutes you're in the thing (if the sea cooperates enough to even get into it) and reports have been many of the boatmen hassling visitors for tips. I also read that it's not a great choice for anyone with motion sickness; all the bobbing around in the rowboats prior to entry can be tough on touchy stomachs. Do it if you must but we skipped it during our two nights on the island and didn't feel we'd missed anything. Obviously, some folks enjoyed it so, again, just my IMHO.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g488299-d195537-Reviews-Blue_Grotto-Anacapri_Island_of_Capri_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Lots of better things to do, and you don't really need tours for most explorations. We did a lot of trekking about on foot to interesting spots:
https://www.capri.com

Posted by
7351 posts

Although a short taxi in the modern city of Pompeii may be preferred to walking after the train ride, I believe it's not hard to visit Pompeii Scavi from Salerno. I don't know if Herculaneum is as easy to get to. There is nothing wrong with your plan, but it might be helpful to know why you selected Salerno. Visiting "Paestum" is certainly a good reason, but not necessarily for five nights. Budget is also a good reason, but there are cheaper places in Sorrento, a better transit hub. The problem is how early Sorrento books up.

Are you aware that the bus between Salerno and Positano (or Sorrento, at that) is divided into two physical bus routes? There is a change required in Amalfi.

I have some doubt whether a daytrip to Matera (??) is practical within the realities of southern Italian public transportation. Your itinerary is quite ambitious. Where would you sleep that night? Have you read about car rental annoyances in Italy, including ZTL, insurance, and speed cameras? You can use the Search box top center to read many comments about these. (I have rented a car in Italy.)

I personally would not sleep anywhere without air conditioning in August in that area. This is a high occupancy area, and I'd make sure your reservations are secure. (I just mean: Will not be cancelled because of third-party booking companies or amateur hoteliers on AirBnb.)

Posted by
15847 posts

Tim is right; Matera and Alberobello are not day trips from the Amalfi Coast/Naples regions, where you would be returning off a ferry from Ischia. You also do not want to be far from the Naples airport on the night before your flight to Paris.

Could you clarify this part of your itinerary?

8/27-28- Overnight trip to Capri & Ischia
8/27- Blue Grato
8/28- Ischia
8/29 Daytrip, Matero, maybe Alberobello ?
8/30 Open

So does this mean ferry to Capri on 8/27, stay overnight on the island
Ferry from Capri to Ischia on 8/28 and stay overnight on the island
Ferry from Ischia to the mainland (where?) on 8/29 and day trip from a location there?

Or do you mean to travel to Matera or Alberobello upon reaching the mainland, staying overnight in one of them? You would need to return to Naples (or much closer to Naples) on the 30th for a flight on the 31st.

That or maybe look at flights to Paris from Bari instead? That airport would be closer to the Matera or Alberobello locations...although I'll defer to others with firsthand experience here.

Posted by
201 posts

Naples has many sites--The National Archeological Museum, the Royal Palace, The Opera House, and spectacular churches. The Royal Palace at Caserta is a good day trip, as are Pozzuoli and Baia.

Naples is often ignored, but we love it.

Posted by
10 posts

Kathy,
Your Breakdown of the Capri Ischia weekend is correct except we are leaving Ischia on the 28th to go back to Salerno. Currently August 30 is open so I may take the suggestion of getting a room and staying in Naples the night before our flight to Paris. My husband even suggested that to me yesterday.

Planning this trip is nerve racking. Afraid I’m going to pick the wrong thing, hotel, tour etc…

I am really appreciating all the feedback I’ve been getting from everyone. Keep it coming.

Posted by
15847 posts

Afraid I’m going to pick the wrong thing, hotel, tour etc…

Oh noooo! Relax, Pam! Just keep asking questions and you'll be all squared away before long.
You're going to have a wonderful trip! :O)

Posted by
27206 posts

I am no expert on the Naples/Amalfi area, but I question whether spending a little bit of time on Capri and a little bit of time on Ischia is the best option. That commits you to a lot of time on boats. Both islands have lovely scenery and lots of nice walks. I'd choose one of them. And I've heard all the same negative stuff about the Blue Grotto that's already been posted here.

I agree that trying to get to Basilicata (Matera) and Puglia (Alberobello) on this trip is pushing way too far. That part of Italy deserves more time, anyway.

Posted by
10 posts

Kathy…
Thank you for your input… I really appreciate it. I am definitely taking some of your suggestions. Back to the drawing board.

Posted by
242 posts

My wife and I stayed in Salerno for a few days a couple years ago and it is a good base, a very pleasant small city. Perfect for Paestum. Pompeii and Herculaneum are about equally accessible -- for either, train to Naples and change to Circumvesuviano railway, they're at different stops on that line. Agree that you cannot reasonably do both in one day although it may seem so as they are not too far apart on the same train line. Pompeii is a full day. Herculaneum can be done in a half day. They're both great in different ways. Do both if you can (on different days), but if you have to choose one most people would pick the bigger and more famous Pompeii and I would agree with that. Since you'll pass through Naples anyway you could combine the ruins (especially if it's Herculaneum) with spending an afternoon and/or evening there, if you're energetic and get an early start. I loved a day on Capri (daytripping from Naples on an earlier trip), BUT that was nearly 35 years ago and in January (nice weather though), so it was very quiet, I have a feeling I would not care for it as much in August.