Please sign in to post.

Leipzig Germany

Should I get euros before I leave for Leipzig, I generally like to have about 50 euros worth? Where in Leipzig can I get euros? Is the exchange rate at ATMs worth using or are they a rip off? If they are goood, where are ATMs in Leipzing?

Posted by
10344 posts

Abbie: About 90% of the people on this site, including Rick Steves, believe ATMs are the best way to get euros. This link has good stuff: Rick's Money 101

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate the help!

Posted by
2297 posts

Abbie,

it's a good idea to get a small amount of Euros already while in the US so that you don't have to look for an ATM first thing after arriving. Germany is still largely a cash society so it's easy to find ATMs.

I envy you for this trip. I still have lots of childhood memories of Leipzig and would love to go back. The city must have changed tremendously in the 20 years I haven't been there.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for your nice reply. I'll have a brew for you and think good thoughts in Leipzig!

Posted by
18 posts

Abbie, I use a separate ATM card for travel that charges no fees, even on international ATMs. Check out the ATM terms on free internet checking sites like e-trade. On top of being free, I only keep travel funds in the account, so there is no access to my main accounts. ATMs are definitely the way to go. I had no problem using the ATMs in Leipzig.