Please sign in to post.

International Cell Phones

I will be traveling to Italy this weekend with my family for two weeks. I want to be accessible to family/friends in case of emergency. Would I be better off buying an international cell phone here in U.S. prior to my departure or are the phones cheaper in Italy at the airport, etc? I found a deal where I can buy a phone for $50 which includes 30 pre-paid minutes and then I can reload as I go. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm finding that in this case it is cheaper to buy than to rent a phone.

Thanks,
Rand

Posted by
636 posts

I assume that your U.S. cell phone won't work in Italy? Because, if it does, that would most likely be your best bet.

Posted by
41 posts

My daughter is in Italy right now and we are going this weekend. She said you can purchase a phone at Vodaphone (which is everywhere including the airport) for 70 euros and add minutes as she goes. Her cell phone from Canada also receives service but the roaming charges are very high.
Cathy

Posted by
3 posts

Unfortunately, my current cell phone won't work in Europe so I have to go this other route. Thanks so much for the valuable information. I really appreciate it!!!

Rand

Posted by
295 posts

Do you use Verizon? They will send you a European phone for free, and charge you only airtime that they put on your regular bill. You return it in prepaid box on return. Worked great for us last month.

Posted by
32320 posts

Rand, given the short time frame, you might be better to just buy an inexpensive PAYG Phone when you arrive in Italy (I doubt there will be sufficient time to obtain a phone before you leave). There are phone shops just about every street corner! The TIM network seems to have fairly good coverage.

Since you'll have an Italian number if you buy in Italy, be sure to provide that to your family and friends, along with instructions for international dialling and country codes (all listed in Rick's books). You could send them a text, as that's very economical. Also, be sure to note the procedure for "top ups". You will probably have several different PAYG plans to choose from. Be sure to study them for a few minutes so that you choose the most appropriate plan for your circumstances (ie: make sure you have a clear idea on what the costs will be).

Hopefully Ron from Rome will see this post, as I'm sure he'll have some good suggestions.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2207 posts

Rand, I have not purchased a phone overseas in a couple of years but I'll try and update you on what we've done. We currently have three international cell phones - one for me, another for my wife, and the third for visitors! We purchased all these at different times & different ways!

Each of our phones is a UNLOCKED GSM "world" phone. They are compatible with any SIM card & we have used multiple country SIM cards in the last 10+ years.

We purchased one phone in London years ago and bought an Orange SIM card. we paid about $19 for the phone and about $15 for the card. The others we purchased more recently through the internet. Our best prices on phones over the years has come from eBay - doesn't appear you have the time for that. You can get a RUSH purchase from a site such as www.telestial.com. They also provide the SIM card. They are pricey but offer great explanations on their site of how SIM phones work!

Or you can wait & buy an inexpensive phone & SIM card here in Italy. Many folks do this and then send a blanket email from an internet cafe' (or hotel) back to all there friends telling them what their phone number is.... The disadvantage of waiting is you have to program in all your numbers, set up your phone, etc.

To purchase a phone you will need your passport, and depending on the vendor, an address in Italy - Use your hotel or apt! You can actually pick up a phone (or at least you could last year) in the Airport on the upper level (very top!).

You can also pick up your SIM card in the same way (which really is sometimes harder to get than a phone due to new anti-terrorist laws here!) There are multiple companies in Italy - TIM, Wind, Vodaphone, etc. You'll see their stores everywhere.

We use TIM as it seems to have the best service, coverage, and rates for us. It's about 12-15 cents for a local call, depending on who you're calling and 60-65 cents a minute to call the States (All prices in Euros).

(Continued on next post)

Posted by
2207 posts

Your card will come with about E5 of talk time. You can recharge your card by purchasing a ricarica. These "recharges" come in various forms but most often are a scratch off card with a code you enter into your phone. For TIM customers, we call 4916 and follow the instructions. (BTW, when you get your SIM, from whatever company, have the vendor change your phone instructions to English - On TIM I believe it's choice 5 on the main menu...)

You can always dial a designated number to see how much "time" you have left on your SIM. You can pick up ricarica at ANY grocery store, many bars, Tabachi shops, electronics stores, and local vendors. You can buy time in differnt increments, up to E100 or as little as e5 - depending on where you purchase.

If you're uncomfortable doing the recharge, go to one of their vendors, hand the phone to them and they will recharge WHATEVER amount you want.

Again, there are many options and many places to pick up a phone. Some may be a sticker, ask for proof of a local address, residenzia, etc. Say thanks, but no thanks, and head NEXT door! You'll be able to find an inexpensive phone and SIM card in Italy.

Hope that helps - Good luck!
Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
3 posts

Wow! I've really gotten great info from all of your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me about international cell phones.

Grazie,
Rand