Please sign in to post.

Help with Honeymoon Itinerary

My finance and I are planning a honeymoon in Italy. We've booked our flights and will be there for 2.5 weeks from Sept 29 to Oct 13. We've both been to Italy before (Rome, Florence, Venice) and are hoping to go back to some highlights and add some new places as well. We're in our mid-30's so don't mind moving every 3 days or so, as it seems most of the stops will be 3 hrs or so away.

Here's generally what we're thinking so far:

Arrive, Rome, travel to Florence by train and stay 2 nights
Cinque Terra - 3 nights
Pick up rental car in Pisa and travel around Tuscany - 3 night and Umbria - 3 nights
Drop car off in Orvietto and train to Amalfi Coast for 3 nights
Rome - 3 nights

I thought is best to head north early in the trip to catch the better weather, and leave Rome to the end. We're starting with Florence since we've both been there, so will ease into it and shake off the jet lag while walking the streets, enjoying the food and gelati.

Any thoughts/suggestions or ideas on the itinerary?

Posted by
157 posts

The basic itinerary seems fine but I wonder how easily you can fly from the west coast of N America to Rome and still have energy to catch a train and head to Florence. I doubt the weather will change that much ofer a 2 week period. I would consider leaving Rome for up front and leaving the rest alone.

Posted by
3592 posts

I have a suggestion that might save you one move. If you locate yourself near Chiusi for the Tuscany and Umbria parts of your trip, you could stay in one place for six nights. We once stayed near Lago Trasimeno, about half-way between Perugia and Chiusi. We were able to do day trips to Perugia, Assisi, Spello, Montefalco, Gubbio, Arezzo, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Cortona, and San Gimignano. The area is loaded with nice B&Bs. My favorite source for such accommodations is www.karenbrown.com or buy the book, Karen Brown's Italy: Charming B&B's.

Posted by
43 posts

If you travel north, it would be worth your while to see the Dolomites. Wow! they are beautiful and quite a change from the rest of Italy. It's cold.