Please sign in to post.

Travel in Italy

We are going to be in Rome in October and would love to visit the Cinque Terra. What is the best way to do this? We are not planning to rent a car.

Posted by
1883 posts

Take the train, base in one town and visit the others by hiking, or taking the train between them. You certainly don't need a car in Italy. Trains and buses are very easy to use, and fairly inexpensive too.

Monterosso is the largest of the 5

Posted by
1883 posts

Take the train, base in one town and visit the others by hiking, or taking the train between them. You certainly don't need a car in Italy. Trains and buses are very easy to use, and fairly inexpensive too.

Monterosso is the largest of the 5, more options for places to stay, and a good place to hike from. You can go south. Or, as an option, go north to Levanto on the trail one day, have lunch and take the train back. it's a nice hike too, and often ignored.

I'm sure you just mis-keyed, but it's the Cinque Terre, not Terra.

Posted by
4 posts

Take the train from Rome to La Spezia. Transfer to the Cinque Terre local train there and get off in whichever town you choose to stay in. My favorite Cinque Terre town is Vernazza. And my favorite place to stay when there is Albergo Barbara. It is right on the harbor square and some of the rooms overlook the harbor. I'm pretty sure this place is recommended in Rick's Italy guidebook.