Please sign in to post.

2024 Pristine Sistine at Closing Time?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has in 2024 (with the new Vatican Museums ticketing and hours changes in effect) taken the "Pristine Sistine" at Closing Time: Late Entry Vatican Tour from Italy Walks. Was it enjoyable? (I know there will be crowds). I am traveling with teenagers so a late afternoon tour is more appealing to them.

Secondly, does anyone have firsthand knowledge of how the Happy Hour works at the Vatican Museum? Are "walk-ups" allowed at the venue holding the Happy Hour and if I were to try to do get a drink after my Italy Walks tour (without a pre-bought ticket to the Happy Hour), where is the restaurant with the Happy Hour?
Thanks
Marguerite

I'm interested in what replies you get-- we'll be going in April and have pre-reserved the Happy Hour, so if I have the confidence, I will ask and report back. ;)

Posted by
16 posts

For me it is challenging to understand all the nuances and the details when planning, especially the Vatican museums options. This forum has been so helpful. Please do report back what you experience with your later entry and Happy Hour (I think it is in the Pine Cone Courtyard) adventure. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
27 posts

Ah, I've asked the same questions essentially. Will follow yours. Out of curiosity, where did you finr the happy hour tour? I could not find it on the Vatican Museum ticket website.

Posted by
16 posts

I did not end up booking a Happy Hour option as I read that, if space is available, the restaurant takes walk-ups and we can just order a refreshment. I also had trouble getting the later time because we wanted a guided tour and the only time I could get 5 tickets to a guided tour was 2 pm. So I booked what I could get and I decided to stay flexible and just see what works the day that I am there.

Posted by
15810 posts

While waiting for firsthand answers...
"Happy Hour" isn't a tour. It's a € 20.00 add-on (one price only; no reduced HH tickets) to a standard admission ticket, and you have to choose a time. Audioguides are add-ons too; you'll see both as options when booking an entry ticket. Looks like your choices for HH bookings are 17:45 or 18:45, and you can't leave the museums and come back for it.

"Happy Hour
Enjoy a delicious Happy Hour in the enchanting Pinecone Courtyard. The admission ticket is valid only for the issue date and cannot be used twice. Visitors will not be permitted to re-enter the Vatican Museums if they leave the premises before the starting time of the Happy Hour. The Happy Hour will not be refunded."

As well:
https://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/organizza-visita/servizi-per-i-visitatori/ristorazione/caffe-la-pigna/happy-hour-al-caffe-la-pigna.html

Posted by
27 posts

Ah, I see. For my dates (5/22-24) and party of 3 adults, they are sold out of timed entry for individuals in English and guided timed entry for individuals in English, so nothing to add on to at this stage. :(

Posted by
15810 posts

Interesting. For May 22, the website is showing "Not Bookable" for "Guided Tours for Individuals - Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel". That means tickets for that tour have not gone on sale for that date yet. They ARE on sale through 5/16 but tours in English are sold out for that date. I'd keep a sharp eye on the website to see if the tour for your date becomes bookable in the next few days? I'm sure it'll sell out very quickly when it does.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks @Kathy. I will. As of now, it looks like the number in my party (3) and the language (English) are the reason I am seeing 'Not Bookable.' Will probably attempt one of the later afternoon tours, though one claims the their tour time is 4:15-7:15p on a W or Th, and the museums close at 7p. Calling them today, but it makes me wary of purchasing.