Please sign in to post.

2023 Christmas markets in Northern Italy best of

Looking for the best cities to visit for Christmas markets in December 2023, have five days in northern Italy

Posted by
1699 posts

Bolzano, Trento and Merano in South Tyrol have Christmas markets - Bolzano is the best known. Sant’Agata Feltria the “Paese del Natale” in Emilia-Romagna. Florence in the famous Piazza di Santa Croce has a popular German Christmas Market every year. Bear in mind that the Italian Christmas period lasts until January 6.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello. Has anyone actually been to any of the Italian Christmas markets? I agree that webpage postings of “best Italian Christmas markets,” are not very accurate, in my opinion. I went to Rome’s Piazza Navona with high expectations during December 2022 only to be disappointed. It was very tiny with only a few selections. I will be based out of Umbria for 2 weeks and wonder if the northern markets, 6 hours away, suggested in a post here such as Bolzano are worth the trip. Also, are there any closer to Umbria? I went to Montepulciano’s market last year as well, it was small but charming. I’m looking for a larger one we could spend a few days visiting. Thank you.

Posted by
304 posts

I've visited a lot. They have become so popular that most cities towns and villages have them, especially in Northern and now centre Italy. I would choose one near to where you're staying anywhere. They tend to be repetitive and certainly not something you would want to spend more than a half day or at most a whole day visiting. Not worth a 6-hour journey to see just a Christmas market unless you want to visit Bolzano anyway because it's interesting, Christmas decorations etc etc.

Posted by
1626 posts

We loved the Christmas markets and Christmas lights in Torino .

Posted by
20103 posts

Yes, been to Christmas Markets in Bolzano, Trento, and Verona. All were very good.

Bolzano: Scored a very nice Tirolean felt hunter's hat from a local hat maker.
Trento: Witnessed a Black-Friday scene of shoppers crowded behind a rope on a Saturday morning counting down to the official opening time, then the mad rush to find the best bargains.
Verona: Italians enjoying beer, bratwurst and sauerkraut in the center of the old city.

Posted by
75 posts

In addition to Bolzano, consider visiting the Christmas markets in nearby Merano, Brixen and Vipiteno. The last two have a very medieval vibe which is neat to experience. There are also a number of boutique markets in the region that are wonderful. The market at Lago di Carezza is breathtaking as it sits right beneath the Latemar Dolomites. You can learn more here: https://throneandvine.com/south-tyrol-italy-christmas-markets/ Have an amazing visit!

Posted by
2908 posts

We’ve been to Brixen/Bressanone and Sterzing/Vipiteno for the Christmas Markets. We’ve also been to Bolzano but this visit was in October. Sterzing market was nice, local feel, but very, very small. Brixen was nice, plus the old town pedestrian zone is very charming. A plus in Bolzano would be going to see the Ice Man exhibit at the Museum of Archaeology.