Please sign in to post.

Is this too much?

In my trip i am wanting to visit italy, me and a friend staying in hostels. Im thinking of flying into Pisa/florence, staying in Florence 2 nights, then 4 nights in Rome and 1 in Naples (to rest from Pompeii vesuvius) and flying out of naples back to paris to fly out the next day for home. Is that squeezing too much? or is that okay for a first time visit to italy, (although have been to europe a few times)

Thanks!

Posted by
606 posts

It's not too bad. What with travel time between Florence and Rome, you'll probably have one day and two evenings in Florence. If you plan ahead and reserve tickets, you can see quite a lot in that short time.

Four nights in Rome is good. You'll see a lot in that time. You might even give one day to a side trip to something outside the city, like Villa d'Este/Tivoli, or a day in the hill town of Orvieto. There are great Pompeii-like ruins near Rome, but you can skip those if you're going to Pompeii later.

You'll be getting to Naples late and tired, so it doesn't even count in your trip, really, but in the evening you're there you will still get a feel for the look and smell of the place.

If you're young and/or energetic, I think this should work fine.

Posted by
104 posts

Sounds good, Florence and Rome are amazing! Pompeii is great too, but Naples is not a city I would ever return too. One night there should be plenty. Have you decided on hostels yet? In Rome, the Beehive is excellent, but it fills up pretty fast. I've heard that the Alessandro hostels are good, same with M&J Hostel. In Florence, Ostello Santa Monica was alright, not very nice looking, but clean, and they have a kitchen you can use. In Naples, definitely stay at Hostel of the Sun - the best hostel ever! Have fun!

Posted by
157 posts

It is possible and as Patrick stated if you are young and energetic than you can see quote a bit. The time in Rome will aloow you to see much of the city and enjoy it. The places are not that far apart so the travel times are reasonable

Posted by
206 posts

thanks for the info, i did hear great things about hostel of the sun, my question is this now,

will the beginning and end work for this?

semi early flight into pisa, see the tower in afternoon then in the evening be in florence, then 2 days later rome, then at the end, i am trying to figure out the best way to see pompeii and goto the crater of vesuvius, can those two be done in the same day? like get into Naples or straight to pompeii from rome, then after the two stay in naples that night to leave the next day for paris early, or could i maybe see vesuvius the next morning early and catch an later afternoon plane to paris? or in order to see both pompeii and vesuvius do i need two days (two nights) in naples?

Posted by
255 posts

"i am trying to figure out the best way to see pompeii and go to the crater of vesuvius, can those two be done in the same day?"

I would say that it all depends on what time you leave Rome/arrive Naples and how much time you want to spend at each place. Your best bet would be the 0745 IC Plus train out of Rome. Arrives Naples 0930. Trains right before and right after do not get you into Naples until after 1000. Check out the Circumvesuviana website for routes and times to Vesuvius and Pompeii. Do keep in mind that I believe that you will want the Pompeii Scavi stop to see the ruins at Pompeii.