Please sign in to post.

2015 World Expo in Milan

My wife and are are considering a trip to Piemonte in September, 2015. Our tentative plan is to fly into Milan, rent a car and drive to the Asti area where we hope to rent a villa/cottage for two weeks. Other than an occasional day trip to the numerous wine regions in Piemonte, our goal will be to experience the wine and cuisine of the region, not to visit tourist sites.
We have just realized that Milan will be hosting the 2015 World Expo from May to October of 2015 and we are now wondering if this is a good time to be visiting the region given our desire to avoid too much touristy stuff.

Does anyone have a sense for what impact, if any, the Expo may have on the surrounding areas or will the impact (crowds, costs, etc) be confined to the Milan metro area?

Posted by
16894 posts

When I visited the Lisbon World Expo in 1998, I did not find other parts of Portugal to be crowded (e.g., I did not make hotel reservations). I expect Milan will be the same and that the total number of tourists in Italy (already high) may not be much affected by the Expo.