Please sign in to post.

2011 Trip planning help

I am planning a trip to Rome for 4 nights and then taking a cruise to Venice. We end in Venice and I was thinking of extending our time. Does anyone have any suggestions on the area? I thought maybe Lake Como by train or Split by Ferry?

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Darla. Perhaps you could fly into Rome and out of Milan and therefore you could end your trip in Lake Como. I highly suggest visiting Lake Como. We finished our 2-wk trip last year in Lake Como before flying home from Milan/Malpensa. It was a very relaxing end to our trip. Lake Como is simply beautiful & not to be missed.

Posted by
82 posts

I would echo the comment made about Como. I would recommend staying at Albergo Milano run by a Swiss couple. Great views and food! Don't miss it.

Posted by
7737 posts

Just don't confuse the town of Como with Lake Como. You don't want to stay in the town of Como. Varenna or Bellagio are the way to go. (Albergo Milano is in Varenna.)

Also, how much time will you be spending in Venice? It would be a shame to just blow through it since you'll be there anyway.

Posted by
408 posts

I have been to Venice once before on a Rick Steve's tour in 2006. Our ship spends two nights in Venice so I think that will be enough time to see what we did not see last trip. I am thinking about staying in Varenna for4 nights, does that sound too long? I think we will spend one night in Milan if I can fly out of there.

Posted by
7737 posts

When will you be there? The weather could influence where you might want to go.

Posted by
408 posts

We will be leaving CA on April 21st and staying four nights in Rome. We will be there for Easter and I am hoping to go to the Vatican for Mass. We then board a cruise ship for a 10 day cruise of the Eastern Med on the 26th. I think our departure date is May 6th. We would be in Varenna for four nights and then take the train to Milan to fly home on the 10th of May. I am leaning towards going to Varenna instead of Split. Maybe we will do another Rick Steve's tour of the Split area. I loved the Best of Europe trip we took in 2006. The ferry sounds a little complicated because I think we would have to take a bus to a certain location first to catch the ferry.

Posted by
7737 posts

Just be prepared for very rainy weather on Lake Como in April.

Posted by
7737 posts

Naturally, I wasn't saying that it rains constantly in April on Lake Como. Just saying it's more likely then and you should be prepared.

Posted by
10344 posts

"I wasn't saying that it rains constantly in April on Lake Como."

It only rains constantly in Seattle. (right, Michael? from another fellow sufferer)

Posted by
408 posts

Thank goodness I am not a witch and melt in the rain. I would rather travel in the shoulder season than during the busy summer season. I just hope it doesn't rain the whole 4 days. Wish me luck!

Posted by
7737 posts

It doesn't rain all the time in Seattle. Only 10-11 months out of the year. :-)

Posted by
408 posts

Michael,
That is why Seattle is so Beautiful!