Please sign in to post.

2008 Rome Guidebook searching for a page

Hi everyone!

My husband and I used the 2008 guidebook for our honeymoon ten years ago. At one of the recommended restaurants, the owner had Rick Steve’s covers posted on her wall. We ate there and gave her our cover as well. (And signed it) we also gave her page 299-300 which had her restaurant mentioned.)

We are going back next week and are taking our son. We would like to visit the restaurant but don’t remember the name or location! Does anyone randomly have this lying around? I would be so grateful for the page!!

Andrea

Posted by
11226 posts

I have a 2011 Rome book. Not surprisingly the pages with restaurants starts at pg 344.

Do you think you would recognize the name or description if you saw it?

Posted by
2377 posts

I have the 2006 Italy guide book (with a Rome chapter). If you could narrow down the area I'd be happy to message you the names in the book.

Posted by
2 posts

Hello kind travelers!

The page I have cut out and missing is directly after “Picnic on the Pantheon Porch.” It was before “Near Termini Station.” I would recognize her name, but I just can’t think of it off of the top of my head.

Her restaurant, I remember, was uphill and near the Colloseum. I wish there was a way to include pictures on here!

I did just go through our photo album and found a photo of a restaurant that I tagged “Rick Steve’s Rec” called Caffe dello Studente. Do you have any details on this location?

Thanks!

Posted by
2377 posts

Unfortunately my 2006 book is not organized the way you describe, but here are the two entries that seem possible, copied verbatim so details may have changed re: times and perks:

Caffe dello Studente is a lively spot popular with local engineering students attending the nearby U. of Rome. Pina, Mauro, and
their perky daughter Simona (speaks English, but you can teach her
some more) give my readers a royal welcome and serve typical bar
gastronomia
fare: toasted sandwiches and simple pastas and pizzas.
You can get your food to go (da portar via); sttand up and eat at
the crowded bar; sit at an outdoor table and wait for a menu; or - if
it's not busy- show this book when you order at the bar and sit
without paying extra at a table (Mon-Sat 7:30-21:00, Sun 9:00-18:00,
tel 06-488-3240) [note: intro paragraph says it is on Terme di Tito)

Ostaria da Nerone, next door, is more of a restaurant: less friendly and more aggressive. Their 7 euro antipasti plate is the
est value; add 2 euro and you get meat and shellfish (Mon-Sat
12:00-15:00 and 19:00-23:00, closed Sun., indoor/outdoor seating. Via
delle Terme di Tito 96, tel 06-481-7952, run by Teo)

Posted by
54 posts

It looks as if you can buy an old copy of the 2008 book from Amazon or eBay for a couple of dollars.

Posted by
32219 posts

Tra,

I dug through my archives and found a copy of the Italy 2008 guidebook, which should have the same restaurants listed. I can provide a list of restaurants between "Picnic on the Pantheon Porch" and "Near Termini Station" a bit later, when I'm back on a "normal" computer.

Can you provide any further clues?

Posted by
11226 posts

In addition to what Ken notes, there is Ristorante il Gabriello-- seems to be run by 2 brothers. ( http://www.ilgabriello.com/)

Osteria Gusto ( http://www.gusto.it/en/gusto-osteria/) and L'Enotec Antica,
are two others mentioned inbetween the book sections you reference

Any recollection of what landmark, site was nearby? Maybe a stroll through the area will trigger your memory.

Good luck!