Please sign in to post.

20 days in Italy

My husband and I are planning a 20-day trip to Italy. It's our first time to Italy so we could use help planning. This is a tentative plan I've got. Will you please let me know if this is too ambitious, if I need to spend more time in certain areas and nix others? I would also very much appreciate any tips you have on effective traveling between cities. Also, the trip ends with four days in Sicily and I'm not sure where to focus our time, so I'd love your advice. Many thanks!

P.S. For reference: I'm 26 years old my husband is 34. We live in Boston. We speak Spanish but not Italian. Before the trip to Italy, I'll be in Greece and Turkey for a 19-day trip with colleagues (we're working on our master's degree and taking a class on archaeology of the New Testament). Neither my husband nor I have traveled in Europe previously. I'll be heading to Milan straight from Athens; my husband will come to Milan from Boston.

The Plan:

Friday May 19: Arrive in Milan 10:30 a.m. Visit the Duomo di Milano. Evening train ride to Lake Como (~2.5 hr trip). 

Saturday May 20: Lake Como. Relax.

Sunday May 21: Lake Como. In evening, travel either by car rental (2 hrs) or train ride (4 hrs) to Venice. 

Monday May 22: Venice.

Tuesday May 23: Venice. Overnight train ride to Cinque Terre (6.5 hrs)

Wednesday May 24: Cinque Terre.

Thursday May 25: Cinque Terre. In evening, travel to Florence (~3 hrs?)

Friday May 26: Climb the towers in Florence.

Saturday May 27: Drive through Tuscany, enjoy countryside.

Sunday May 28: Florence. Evening train ride to Rome (1.5 hrs) 

Monday May 29: Rome: Vatican. Sistine Chapel. St. Peter’s Basilica.

Tuesday May 30: Rome: Colosseum. The Forum. Victor Emmanuel Monument. Capucchin Crypt. Baths of Diocletian. (Is going to Santa Maria della Vittoria to see Bernini's “St. Teresa in Ecstasy” worth fitting in?)

Wednesday May 31: Rome: Pantheon. Trevi Fountain. Piazza da Spagna. Catacombs of San Sabastiano. Piazza Navona. (Is Camp de' Fiori worth fitting in?).

Thursday June 1: Early morning high speed train (2 hrs) to Sorrento. Check in hotel. Spend the day in Naples.

Friday June 2: Day trip to Amalfi Coast. Positano or Ravello? Bus ride back to Sorrento.

Saturday June 3: Morning in Sorrento. Tour lemon grove. Deep Valley of the Mills. Pompeii.

Sunday June 4: Early morning flight (1 hr) to Catania. Day in Catania.

Monday June 5: Train to Taormina. Day in Taormina.

Tuesday June 6: Somewhere in Sicily....

Wednesday June 7: Somewhere in Sicily...we should end up close to Catania because the next day we plan to fly from Catania to Paris, spend a few days in Paris and then head back to Boston (it's cheaper to fly to Paris and then to Boston rather straight from Italy to Boston, so we thought, "Why not see Paris for a few days?").

Posted by
7175 posts

The 3 nights for Sicily are just not worth the effort travelling to get there, only scratching the surface and in no way doing justice to your destination.

Arrive Milan
Lake Como (3N)
(Make your stop in Milan the day you travel to Venice)
Venice (3N)
Florence (5N)
- with days to Siena, Lucca+Pisa
Rome (4N)
(Make your stop in Naples the day you travel to Sorrento)
Sorrento (4N)
- with days to Pompeii, Capri, Positano
Fly from Naples to Paris

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks, David! How many nights would you recommend staying in Sicily? I actually planned 4 nights there (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) and then the flight to Paris on Thursday but it's still only 4 days in Sicily--and it's so vast so that's probably still not enough. Would you recommend doing Sicily on a separate trip then in the future? I'm assuming it's worth it--my only problem is I have no idea when we'd be able to get back to Italy and I don't want to miss it.

Posted by
1059 posts

I like David's itinerary a lot. I would leave Sicily for another trip. I know David's itinerary doesn't include the Cinque Terre, but you can only do so much. I do like that you would have three nights in Lake Como and 3 nights in Venice if you follow his itinerary. Venice is unlike any other in the world. Don't sell it short.

Posted by
15847 posts

Hi Jenna!
I like David's itinerary too, and I would take trains everywhere except a day trip to Siena; easier by bus from Florence. And, of course, buses/ferries are how you'd get about the Amalfi Coast.

To my knowledge, there are no overnight trains to any of the villages in the CT, and no direct trains at all. Just doing a search by random time/town, the last one from Venezia S. Lucia to Monterosso on the 23rd leaves at 18:25 and gets in at 00:22 with 2 changes. Given that the majority of accommodations in the CT are small, family-owned properties without 24/7 desks, you don't want to be getting in at this hour. Also, if your trip is just 3 months from now, darn near everything in the CT is probably booked already; the place will be mobbed. I'd enjoy your time by the water in Como and the Sorrentine/Amalfi and use those days for something else (see David's suggestions).

I'd suggest skipping Sicily too as you just don't have enough time to do that one justice. If you end up planning to fly to Paris from Naples, I wouldn't book an early-morning flight; public transit from Sorrento doesn't start running early enough to get you there. There is a nice bus which goes directly from Sorrento to the airport that I highly suggest that you take; safe, comfortable, affordable and very easy; the next best thing to an expensive private transfer: Earliest derpature time is 6:30 AM.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/eng/index.php
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/autolinee/images/AUTOLINEE_CURRERI.pdf

So why not sort a new itinerary and then tackle the "what should we do/see?" questions? Because you're coming from an archaeology class in Greece/Turkey, is this an area that you'd like to give special attention to in Italy as well?

Posted by
27206 posts

Sicily would definitely be a trip all by itself. I spent 18 days there in 2015, and I did not visit key classical sites at Agrigento, Selinunte and Segesta, which I'm guessing you would want to see. With a rental car (which I did not have), you could cover a lot of Sicily in two weeks, but three would be better, especially if you wanted time for beach days.

I like David's itinerary, too.

Posted by
16894 posts

Even if you keep the Cinque Terre in the plan, I'd still look at taking the direct Venice-Florence train and staying in Florence first. You can pick up or drop off a car in La Spezia, before or after the Cinque Terre. There are also direct trains from La Spezia to Rome (or an overnight train to Naples that departs at 1:30 a.m., coming from further north). Or flights from Pisa to Paris.

You have to assume that you will return and balance quality sightseeing time against too much transportation between destinations.

Posted by
11613 posts

I love Sicilia but four days is short, considering travel time to get there. Save it for next time.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you all so much! So helpful! Updated plan:

May 19: Arrive in Milan. Train ride to Lake Como.

May 20: Lake Como

May 21: Lake Como

May 22: Train to Venice

May 23: Venice

May 24: Venice

May 25: Train to Florence

May 26: From Florence, possible day trip to Cinque Terre

May 27: Florence

May 28: Car rental to drive through Tuscany

May 29: Day trip to Siena (use bus)

May 30: Florence. Train to Rome.

May 31: Rome

June 1: Rome

June 2: Rome

June 3: Train to Sorrento. Stop to visit Naples on the way.

June 4: Day trip to Pompeii

June 5: Day trip to Capri

June 6: Day trip to Positano

June 7:  Fly from Naples to Paris

Posted by
27206 posts

Have you picked your Lake Como spot yet? You might want to ask here for suggestions.

Posted by
23 posts

Acraven, great question, I haven't! We actually just decided to do this trip yesterday (an unexpected opportunity arose) so I've got to get the ball rolling on finding accommodations. Please do let me know what your recommend! :-)

Also, here's another question: Looking at this itinerary now, I'm wondering if we should do it backwards (start in Naples, move to Sorrento, then Rome, then north). Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking it might be good to hit Rome at the end of May before school gets out for so many people. Just a thought. But these cities will packed no matter what, right? Also I just looked up flights and a Boston to Naples flight would cost $200 more than Boston to Milan, so budget-wise that wouldn't be a great idea.

Posted by
78 posts

Yes, the Ecstasy of St Theresa is absolutely worth seeing. It's about a 10 mi ute walk from Termini. Borghese Gallery features 3 additional fantastic Bernini sculptures. I also recommend the Pont St. Angelo for yet more Bernini sculptures.