Please sign in to post.

2 nights in Venice?

We are planning a trip for 2 weeks in Italy with the majority of the time spent in Florence. We are planning also to spend 2 nights in Venice as well as one night in Cinque Terre and a day trip to Siena. A few people have told me that it's not worth staying so long in Venice, that a day trip or one night is enough. We don't like to rush. Any advice?

Posted by
2455 posts

Well, I would say that just 2 nights in Venice is already a rushed visit. There are many highlight sites and museums to visit in Venice. There are also a number of varied neighborhoods well worth wandering through at leisure. The early mornings and evenings are great times to explore beautiful Venice, without the multitudes of cruise passengers and day trippers who are present from mid-morning until late afternoon, especially near the most popular sites. During each of my last two visits to Venice, I spent a great day visiting the islands in the lagoon, including especially Burano, Torcello and Murano, and there are other islands out there as well. There are so many wonderful spots throughout Italy that it is always tough to allocate the days of a limited visit, and we each need to make our own choices each trip, but I personally wouldn't think that just making a day trip to Venice would be a great solution.

Posted by
3941 posts

Let me preface this by saying Venice is my favourite place ever. I've stayed there 10 nights over four trips. And could happily spend a week there four more times. The best part of Venice is rising with the sun before the day trippers arrive, and in the evening after they leave. And going away from the tourist spots when they are full of tourists. I really think three nights would be a great overview. Best is to stay in Venice proper. People either seem to love or 'not love as much' Venice.

Edit to add...Larry and I were reading each other's mind!

Posted by
2129 posts

I think 2 nights would be a minimum for both Venice and Cinque Terre.

If you have 2 weeks, that still leaves 10 nights for Florence, which should be plenty.

Posted by
15260 posts

Although I'm from Florence, I also think you should add a night to Venice and one to the Cinque Terre. Three nights is actually only two days. Two or three days devoted to Florence are sufficient unless you are an art fiend. Of course Florence is great as a base for the rest of Tuscany too.

Posted by
11362 posts

What Roberto said! Venezia is my singlefavorite city in Italy. Don't rush yourselves. Take time to walk around and explore away from the tourist hoardes.

Posted by
993 posts

Venice my favorite city as well... Worth at least 3 nights in my opinion!!

Posted by
7175 posts

Venice and Cinque Terre are, at best, each 2 night stays.
This gives you the one full day at your destination, plus days travelling to and from.
I would suggest your enjoyment of both would increase with a 3rd night added.

Posted by
1234 posts

Do you have your flights yet? Many people like to fly into Venice, as it is a relaxing city to recover from jet lag. I also would stay at least 2, preferably 3, nights.

Cinque Terre needs at least 2 nights, IMO. This will still give you plenty of time for Florence. Siena is a good day trip, as well as Lucca.

Posted by
4896 posts

Nothing against Florence -- it is a great city. But, IMO, you are badly short changing Venice. It is a city like no other and two nights only gives one full day and parts of two others depending on arrival and departure time. Strongly suggest you add more time to Venice.

Posted by
1166 posts

Heed the advice ! TWO nights is only 1 day in a location !

You are the one who knows how long to stay - list all of the things you plan to do in each location and put them in a calendar - you will see immediately if you need to add nights/days to a particular location.

One night in Cinque Terre means you are traveling there the day of and the day after - when will you hike ? Two nights allows you at least ONE day to hike and train or boat to ALL of the wonderful villages - and you should see them all !

Venice is magical - don't listen to those naysayers !!!

Posted by
15 posts

I've been to Venice twice. The last time we stayed 4 nignts and had plenty to do. Two nights does not do it justice. There's so much to explore, even taking the vaporetto from beginning to end is wonderful. Murano and, especially, Burano were wonderful so most of a day. Also went to the Cinque Terre on this trip. You need more than a day if you plan to do any hiking from town to town. We stayed in Riomaggiore and loved it there. This was soon after the heavy rains so some links from town to town weren't open. We were here 3 nights. Beautiful!

Posted by
7209 posts

"A few people have told me..." and who would these people be? Let me guess...Cruisers who spent a total of 6 hours being dumped into Venice with all the other throngs of daytrippers? Or perhaps travel agents who've never actually been there?

Either way anyone who tells you Venice is not worth 2 nights is a total kook!