Please sign in to post.

2 Days in Rome

I am headed to Rome for business at the end of this month and will be taking 2 additional days to explore. I’ve never been to Rome before so:

1) Where should I stay? Note I am a single female traveler, looking to be centrally located and have as easy access as possible.

2) What are “musts” for the short itinerary? Is it possible to do the Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s one day and then the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps etc in the other day?

3) Any other tips or things to know welcome!

Thank you!

Posted by
6205 posts

Here's a good starting point:
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome-itinerary

We like the area around the Pantheon--Campo de' Fiori--Piazza Navona. It's the historical center and mostly pedestrianized.
From there you can walk most anywhere.

TBH- I would skip the Vatican Museums- you may not even be able to get tickets at this late date. It's a mob scene, and in general a very unpleasant experience. YMMV!
I would go to the Borghese Gallery instead. It's a timed entry for 2 hours and only certain number of people at a time. A much nicer art experience.
I actually just posted the Borghese ticket site on a thread below-
https://www.tosc.it/en/artist/galleria-borghese/galleria-borghese-2253937/

If you want to see St Peter's you can still do that without the Vatican Museums. Expect to wait in line there- it is free.

Posted by
200 posts

I second the Borghese Gallery recommendation. It is truly stunning. Get tickets now, though, if you can.

Posted by
27215 posts

Both the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum have changed aspects of their ticketing procedures this month. It's hard to say how things are going to pan out, but you may have difficulty getting online tickets for both of those at this point. You might have some luck by standing in line, but it could be a very long wait, and with as little time as you have in Rome, I wouldn't be inclined to do that. You can get a good look at the exterior of the Colosseum without a ticket.

Posted by
726 posts

For just two days, I would suggest fewer ticketed sites and more time walking around and soaking it all in. When we were there in November, one of my friends was fixated on Carciofi alla Giudia [deep fried artichokes "Jewish style"] and she was told that the REAL artichokes wouldn't be in season until January. So perfect timing for you. You could combine a walk through the Jewish Ghetto with a pursuit of one of the signature dishes of Rome. You could use the walk in the Rick Steves Rome guidebook as a template, but I would extend it to walk through the ruins behind the Teatro Di Marcello, which is similar to what you would experience at the Forum, albeit on a much smaller scale.

From there it's an easy walk to the Victor Emmanuel monument. To the right of it is the Michelangelo Grand Staircase, which will take you up to the Piazza del Campidoglio. If you head to the rear, between the buildings that comprise the Capitoline Museums, you'll find two overlooks with great views of the Roman Forum - no ticket required.

Those views, along with a stroll down Via Del Fori Imperiali past the Imperial Forums toward the Colosseum, may give you enough of a view of ruins so that you wouldn't need to spend more time going inside the Forum and Palatine Hill.

Another easy view of ruins is at Largo Argentina - while the ruins can be viewed from the sidewalk, it's now open as a tourist site, when you can buy an inexpensive ticket and descend to the level of what's left of the ancient temples.

As others have suggested, the Borghese Gallery is an efficient way to see great art without crowds - timed entry ticket must be bought well in advance. The better-known churches are another option - great art and architecture available just by sticking your head in the door as you walk past.

Posted by
30 posts

be aware of the FREE day at the Colosseum and Forum on Sunday June 2nd. i understand it is good to avoid the free attractions.

Posted by
303 posts

I also recommend Hotel Portoghesi. Another one I recommend is Colonna Palace Hotel.

With two days, I would definitely go to the Borghese Gallery, St. Peter's Basilica and the Pantheon.

And then I would walk around and try to go into as many of these churches as possible and see the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain along the way:

1. Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore
  2. Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
  3. Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio di Loyola
  4. Basilica di Sant'Andrea della Valle
  5. Chiesa del Gesù
  6. Basilica of Saint Mary of Minerva
  7. Church of St. Louis of the French
  8. Basilica Parrocchiale di Santa Maria del Popolo
  9. Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria
Posted by
35 posts

Another vote for staying near the Pantheon... and do see the Pantheon. I would consider it a must and it won't take much time. It's also an easy walk to Trevi from this area.

I don't really get the appeal of the Spanish Steps, especially this time of year, and probably wouldn't trek over there. To each their own though. If it's important to you, extending your walk to Trevi is probably the way to check it off your list.

The scale of St Peter's is wild and worth the stop. Consider jumping in a cab to save time.

Combine the Colosseum with the Forum and/or Palatine Hill.

In summary, it could look something like this (ticketing challenges not considered):

Day 1
Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps places you relatively close to the Borghese if your time/energy/interest permit. If not, go right to St. Peter's (cab).

Day 2
Forum, Colosseum, Palatine Hill

Posted by
679 posts

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Lots of good ideas here, absolutely consider booking the Galleria Borghese rather than Vatican Museums, so much more manageable. We just spent 8 days in Rome over NY, lots of tips here in my Trip Report, but my main tip is to get out early!! https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/rome-was-jammed-over-ny-but-still-fun

Especially if you want to get into St Peters first thing in the morning the lines will be shorter, and walk to Trevi fountain, it's always crowded but more as the day wears on. You will also need a ticket for the Pantheon, book as early in day as possible. We really liked Hotel Smeraldo, staff was amazing & it's very centrally located so easy to walk to almost all the suggestions above. Agreed you can take some walks and skip going inside the Roman Forum & Coliseum, & instead follow the walk mentioned above.

Consider watching as many RS videos about Rome & art as possible & reading whatever suits you before you go, you will appreciate it all the more if you do. I listed a few resources in my TR. It should be quieter at the end of January, what fun!!!

Posted by
27215 posts

You can watch Rick's TV shows on this website. Click on "Italy". There are four shows on Rome. They're a bit over 10 years old, but the should still be helpful. Just expect to see more tourists around you.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show

The Rick Steves' Europe app has very good walking tours of many cities, including Rome.

Posted by
869 posts

I stayed an extra day after the end of a tour and took transit out to Ostia Antica in the morning then in the afternoon I took a nice long walk down the Appian Way and popped into some sights along the way. Both of these locations were not crowded and quite enjoyable.

Posted by
6336 posts

I'd consider a food tour. You get to taste local specialties, and learn some of the history and culture of the area at the same time. We've taken a number of Eating Europe's tours, including one in Rome. https://www.eatingeurope.com/rome/

We enjoyed the Trastevere tour, and hope to take some of the others in the future.