Please sign in to post.

1st Time to Italy-Itinerary Help!

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy in a few weeks and need some feedback on the itinerary i have planned for us...Thank you!
Arrive into Rome Friday around 2:45pm-take the Leonardo Express train to Rome Termini
Check into hotel
walk around Rome and possible go to Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria

SATURDAY:
Reservations for Vatican at 9am, and see St. Peter's Basilica
Panthenon
Galleria Doria Pamphilli
National Museum of Rom
Piannza Navona
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain

SUNDAY:
Borghese Gallery (reservations for 9am)
The Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine HIll
Arch of Constantine

MONDAY-train leaves at 8:15am to Florence
Arrive in Florence at 10am, check into hotel
Santa Maria Novella
Baptistery
Duomo and Duomo climb
Medici Chapels

TUESDAY:
Accademia
Museum of San Marco
Central Market
Medici-Riccardi Palace

WEDNESDAY:
Uffizi Gallery
Palazzo Vecchio
Piazza della Signoria
Santa Croce Church
Pitti Palace
Piazzale Michelangelo

THURSDAY: Train leaves for Venice at 9am
Arrive in Venice at 11:30, check into hotel-take vaporetto no. 1/2 to hotel
St Marks Square
St Marks Basilica-museums
Doge's Palace

FRIDAY:
Accademia
Rest of the day enjoy Venice

SATURDAY-flight back to USA leaves Marco airport at 6:30AM-will take the Vaporetto Blue LIne (leaves at 3:40am to get to airport at 5)

Any advice in any area is helpful!!! This is our first time to Italy, so we don't know the length of visiting places, travel tips, etc.

Posted by
6898 posts

Angie, for a first timer, this looks really good. Just be prepared to adjust slightly as time frames may dictate. A couple of thoughts. 1) You might not be able to check into a hotel in Florence at 10:00am but you certainly should be able to leave your luggage until you can. 2) Where is your hotel in Venice? After the San Marco and San Zaccaria stops, the Alilaguna Blu Line www.alilaguna.it heads east to Lido and then to the north side of Venice on the way to the airport. It does not proceed further up the Grand Canal. The Alilaguna Orange line does come up the canal but at a later time that is too late for your flight. There is a night vaporetto that does come up the Grand Canal from San Marco at 3:50am that stops at the Piazzale Roma at 4:30am which is in time for the 4:40 bus to the airport. Just want to make sure that you have access to transportation that early in the morning from your hotel.

Posted by
1046 posts

Angie - wear comfortable shoes!!! You've got a bunch of busy days ahead of you. See if this helps with your planning:
Rome - what do you means reservations at the Vatican? If you mean the Vatican Museum that can be a very, very long day in itself with no place to sit. The Piazza Navonna (amazing at night), Spanish Steps (a young lovers' hangout) and Trevi Fountain (crowds but oh so worth it!) can all be done as part of a magical evening stroll interrupted by dinner. The Pantheon is special day (when it's open) and night (when it's the place to sit with a glass of wine and watch people).
Florence - you might find that the Pitti Palace takes longer than you expect.
Venice - get on the vaporetto and ride! then get off and walk! Take Rick's advice about storing a bag so you don't have to wait in line at San Marco. They'll tell you it's only good for an hour - ignore them, they don't time stamp anything! Doge's Palace is pretty amazing. Much of the Accademia can be closed but there is so much to see you might not notice that. At night, get back on the vaporetto and ride!
Enjoy!!!!!

Posted by
36 posts

We are staying at the SCANDANAVIA HOTEL in Venice-if that is any help Larry.

Robert-for the Vatican Museum-I was thinking about making reservations, so we don't have to wait in line and get there first thing in the morning, so we have that all done and on our schedule since I know that it is very big.

I am most concerned with transportation to the airport in Venice especially since our flight leaves so early. We will be getting the Roma Pass and the Firenze Card.

Posted by
663 posts

You ought to be able to see several things that first Friday as you are walking around, such as the Spanish steps, trevi fountain, and pantheon. RS has a walk in his book that takes you along all those sights.

The Medici chapels are closed on Mondays, unless that has changed in the last 2 years.

Posted by
11613 posts

Note that Santa Maria della Vittoria may be closed by the time you get there - if so, move it to another day. You'll need to be at the Borghese Gallery before your appointment time. Looks very well thought out.

Posted by
16893 posts

Sounds like you've done your homework. Give yourselves permission to cut a site (like the National Museum of Rome) or to split up, if one or both of you get tired. We expect this won't be your last trip. Don't forget Rick's recorded Audio Tour options, if you'll carry a smartphone or iPod with you.

Posted by
77 posts

This sounds perfect! I would suggest doing the RS Night Walk Across Rome on Friday night after you settle in. :-)