Please sign in to post.

1st Time Italy Trip - Fall or Spring

Hello there!
I am new to Rick Steves (and tour groups in general) and am looking to book my first trip to Italy as a solo traveler. I am trying to decide between early September of 2024 (Heart of Italy tour - Rome, Volterra, Cinque Terre, Florence) or waiting until spring of 2025 (end of April into early May - for the Best of Venice, Florence, Rome tour - which was my original 1st choice).

I am wondering if anyone has any strong recommendations/thoughts about either tour and/or either season. I would love to go in fall (closer) but am a bit apprehensive about missing Venice on my first trip. Based on my interests, I do think the stops on either tour would be amazing. Just hung up on that Venice piece and wondering if anyone can share input that might help me with my decision.

Regardless of tour, I would stay an extra night in the beginning, so as a first time solo traveler in this format, wondering thoughts on being in either Rome a pre-tour night (Heart of Italy tour) vs Venice (Best of VFR tour where we'd already be staying 3 nights as part of the tour).

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to share their experiences/thoughts!

Posted by
2257 posts

Welcome to the forum! You'll have a wonderful trip whichever one you choose.

I'd vote for Venice, but my main reason for traveling in spring rather than fall is the longer days. I've been to Italy many times, but last year when I went in September, I really noticed the difference. Maybe part of it was because I am now traveling solo and am less interested in going around alone after dark.

Posted by
23562 posts

Our experience is the Fall will be drier but it can be warmer. We tend to prefer the Sep - Nov time period over the spring. The Spring can be cooler and more rainy but the marginal difference is not that great. Both time periods work. For most trips we go a few days early to do the jet lag adjustment on our time and maybe stay a couple of latter just to not rush the departure. And we always use multi-cities tickets -- often cheaper, more convenient and save time. For example -- into Venice and home from Rome.

Posted by
5442 posts

I would avoid the week before and after Easter, as I've learned from experience, how much that holiday increases crowds, and some places are closed Easter Sunday and Monday. Easter is April 20, 2025, I believe.

I'd add two extra nights before a tour, especially if you opt for the Venice option. It is a magical city. Flights often get delayed and / or canceled, so it's nice to have a Plan B.
Congrats on your first trip, and kudos for going solo. You will have a fantastic time! Safe travels!

Posted by
11731 posts

I am trying to decide between early September of 2024 (Heart of Italy tour - Rome, Volterra, Cinque Terre, Florence) or waiting until spring of 2025 (end of April into early May - for the Best of Venice, Florence, Rome tour - which was my original 1st choice).

Why struggle with choosing... do both :-)

Posted by
284 posts

I agree with Joe: do both! That being said, I highly recommend the VFR tour. We took it last October, spending an extra night in Venice, pre-tour, and 2 extra nights in Rome, post-tour. It was our first trip to Italy and that tour was the perfect introduction to the country and culture (not to mention the art and history) of Italy. One of the nice things about the VFR tour is that you have (at least) 3 nights in each city, so you’re not packing and unpacking as much as other tours that go to more cities or stay less nights. We found the early fall weather to be quite mild.

Posted by
262 posts

Bear in mind that there is a Papal Jubilee next year. Rome will likely be even more crowded than usual (and it’s already rather crowded).

Posted by
336 posts

Just based on the weather I would go at the end of April into early May instead of early September. Looking at average temperatures, end of April / early May high temps average about 15f cooler compared to early September (about 70 vs low 80s) and to me that makes a huge difference, low 80s is a bit too hot to be walking around all day long.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much for your feedback, it is truly appreciated and so helpful!

Follow-up question and curve ball, a few seats have opened up for the Best of Venice, Florence, Rome this fall (end of Oct into very early Nov) which was my first choice and gets me to Venice (woo hoo!) albeit a bit later in fall than anticipated.

For those with RS experience, should I be trying to get one of those spots asap or does this happen relatively frequently where seats open up if folks need to cancel/postpone. My only apprehension now is it's too late in the season. Any thoughts there?

Thank you, thank you!

Posted by
9102 posts

I’d opt for the Fall to see Venice. Spent a lovely Christmas in Venice. Sun, blue skies, gloves and scarf weather. No rain.

My bias is based on a bias for traveling in the Fall to Europe. That was dictated by work and my preference for fewer crowds and less expensive accommodations. Even after retiring I’ve held fast with those preferences.

Venice is sinking. As far as I know cruise ships don’t dock in November. That may have changed.

Its Venice. Unique and a great place to get lost. Still dream of a teeny restaurant I found ….Osteria Alla Frasca before the internet did….

Posted by
11731 posts

,,,,, or does this happen relatively frequently where seats open up if folks need to cancel/postpone.

It is not unheard of for someone to cancel and spots open, but they won't be there for long, and planning on a cancellation is just plain gambling.

Weather--- can't help with any personal experience, but if it the weather was always miserable at that time I doubt there would be a tour running at that time. ( as an example, no tours run in Greece between July 7 and Aug 26, presumably because it is so hot)

Posted by
276 posts

There are two main factors to consider:

1) Timing - which could affect temperature, crowd levels, which attractions are open and so on

2) Tour location

Having lived in Italy and traveled there many times since, I would encourage you to consider location over timing and go with the Rome, Florence, Venice. This tour will be more crowded but I think the “big 3” is the way to go on a first visit.

Ultimately, go where your heart calls. If it calls for you to go on one tour or the other, go there. Don’t be swayed by strangers. Many of us are experienced travelers and love these places, so we try to help. But it’s your vacation. The tour will navigate crowds . All the places you’re considering are great. Either way, you win!

Posted by
550 posts

I would do the September 2024 trip. I like that you get a mix of the bigger towns, and also Volterra, Cinque Terre. I think for a first time trip it is nice to see the charming smaller, less touristy places. As well, 2025 is currently forecast to be very busy year with the jubilee, so why not go sooner!

Posted by
1054 posts

My only apprehension now is it's too late in the season

We were [primarily] in Rome the first two weeks of November 2023 and the weather was fine. There was some rain overnight, which didn't linger into the morning. We encountered a few showers the day we visited the Forum, but were prepared with rain gear and umbrellas. Light rain when we emerged from the Vatican Museums one evening.

The bad weather we experienced was during an outing to Cinque Terre - torrential rain the day we arrived.

The weather had only a minimal effect on our trip. The shorter days cited by others wasn't an issue - in fact one could argue that Rome is more dramatic at night, given how the ruins and fountains are illuminated.