Please sign in to post.

1st time in Italy

My wife and I will be on a work trip to Spain and we wanted to extend our trip by visiting Italy as well. We are not sure where to fly into and where to stay. Ideally we would like to hit Rome, Florence, and Tuscany or Venice as well. Is this doable in 4-6 days and how do you recommend we do it?

James
USA

Posted by
23297 posts

No, it is not doable unless you are just interested in a drive by view. Too much traveling. Where are you in Spain? Use a discount airline, fly to Florence for two or three nights and train to Rome for another two or three nights and come home from Rome. If you send three nights in Florence, you might slip in a day trip to one of the hill towns around Florence but that would be the most you could do. Of course, another option would be to fly to Venice and then train to Rome in a similar pattern as above.

Posted by
2625 posts

I agree. Pick 2 places, give them 3 nights each. You'll see a fair amount and not be traveling around at a breakneck pace. Budget airfares between Spain and Italy abound.

Posted by
8293 posts

Is it 4 days or 6? If only four, then spend all four in either Rome or Venice. The time it will take you to transfer to another city, taking into account checking into and out of hotels as well as actual travel time, will take a surprising chunk out of your day. I would opt for Rome if it were me.

Posted by
6788 posts

I literally laughed out loud when I saw "Is this doable in 4-6 days?"

To put it nicely, no this is not possible. It's completely unrealistic (and a bad idea) to attempt it.

To "hit" (as you put it) Rome + Florence + (Tuscany or Venice) would require more than a week, and that's at a punishing pace (I do that sometimes).

4 days? Pick one place. You could do Rome with a day-trip side-trip (I'd pick Florence if it must be someplace on your list).
Have 6 days? One, maybe two places. But no way you can see your list in the time you say you have.

I'm guessing you've never been to Italy before (probably never been to Europe, too). If I were you, I would do one or both of the following: extend your trip so you can see more of your Italy list, or make your list shorter (a lot shorter).

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your responses. We will probably do 2 cities instead of 3. Florence is a definite stop but we need to decide between Rome and Venice. We would fly back from the last city most likely so maybe we fly into Florence spend 3 days there and take the train down to Rome and spend 2 days there before we head back to the States.

Posted by
251 posts

You could spend 3 days in Florence with one day being a day trip in Tuscany (we did this through Fun in Tuscany Tours and loved it!) and 2-3 days in Rome or Venice since they are about the same distance from Florence. It all depends on your taste and it may be easier and cheaper to fly out of Rome since it's larger than Venice. Venice is much smaller and intimate than Rome and has a more laid back feel to it, although it's still filled with tourists. There is so much more to see in Rome and it's a little easier to get around. If you really enjoy history, then I would choose Rome.

I spent three days in Rome last summer and thought it was doable since we saw all the highlights (Vatican, Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, etc.) but I'm already planning on going back next summer because there's just so much to see and do.
I also spent three days in Venice and thought it was doable as well.

Posted by
32214 posts

James,

Your plan to spend three days in Florence and then finish in Rome is the best idea with such a short time frame. Where are you flying from in Spain? You didn't say where you live, but you'll likely find the best flight options from Rome / FCO.

Florence is the capital of Tuscany and it makes a great home base for touring that area. One day trip that's easily accomplished is to travel to Siena via Bus. The trip is only about 1H:15M and that would allow you to see another part of Tuscany. Lucca is also an easy trip from Florence, or you could take an organized wine tour or something while in Florence.

The trip from Florence to Rome is very easy - 90 minutes via high speed train. That means you'll be able to maximize sightseeing time.

Posted by
57 posts

I did the 10 day RS tour last year. Venice--Florence--Rome.

I don't know if you're a city person, but Rome was huge and you could probably easily spend 4-5 days there alone.

Florence...beautiful and great museums, churches, galleries, food.

But, I would suggest Venice instead of Rome. Venice is a "different" kind of city...which plays well to be a little different. Plus, I think the Venice airport is better to navigate through and get out of Italy.

Save Rome for a longer trip.

Posted by
616 posts

If I have 6 days
I would arrive in Rome or Milan and travel to Florence by train. I would do a day trip to Siena and another daytrip to San Gimignano.