Please sign in to post.

1st international flight to Rome April 2024

I will be flying on Aer Lingus from LAX to Rome in April.We change flights in Dublin, and I have noticed only 1 hour 10 minutes between when we land in Dublin, then leave for Rome.Is this layover time feasible? It seems to me to be very tight but I would appreciate some expert advice. If we missed our flight out of Dublin, Aer Lingus is obligated to get us on next flight, correct? Thank you very much, any help is much appreciated.

Posted by
4873 posts

Others will disagree, but it seems a bit tight to me. But at least you will be much closer to your destination than if you miss a connection in the U.S. If possible, (and it might not be) try to change the flights to give you a little more time for connections. If everything is on one ticket and you miss the connection, then Aer Lingus should be obligated to get you to Rome as soon as they can.

Posted by
2267 posts

It does sound tight, but Aer Lingus does loads of these kinds of connections for their North American arrivals and it's a successful part of their business model.

Posted by
7570 posts

The advantage is that you should only be changing gates, no security or immigration. Not sure of the layout at that airport, but if your flight is on time (and usually you land early on the way over), that should be fine, trust the airline.

Posted by
4772 posts

You can use Flight Aware to check the dependability history of the flight.
Good luck!

Posted by
27184 posts

The airline is obligated to get you to Rome. It is highly unlikely to put you on the next flight if that flight is full.

I'd rather have 70 minutes to change planes in Dublin heading eastbound than in quite a few other European airports.

Posted by
15102 posts

As others have stated, as long as this is on one ticket, Aer Lingus is obligated to get you to Rome on the next AVAILABLE flight and not necessarily the next flight. It is possible they may route you via a different airline.

If you miss your flight can't get you there until the next day, they are obligated to give you a hotel room, food vouchers and compensation.

Dublin airport has a connections guide:

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/connections/connection-guide

Posted by
317 posts

The Dublin airport is easy to navigate. Look at some YouTube videos of the airport connections to get familiar with the route. Then look over the airports website. When you are getting close to Dublin you should inform the flight attendants of your short connection and they should try to get you off the plane quickly. I do not like short layovers and they do stress me but we have navigated with less than an hour before and it worked out. Also, if you miss the flight due to the short connection, work with the airline to get you on the absolute next flight, regardless of the airline. We missed a Delta flight due to fog and they put us on a United flight. Be sure and know which flight best accommodate you so that you can ask for it specifically. All that being said, the previous comments are correct. They do this all the time and they feel like it will work or else they would not have scheduled it. Good luck.

Posted by
911 posts

I would not worry about it. Let Aer Lingus handle any issues if your inbound flight is delayed. If you are checking a bag have a set of clothes in your carry on bag if you are delayed overnight.