Please sign in to post.

Auto Rental

We are five adults traveling in Italy for 3 weeks. I am trying to make a decision about a vehicle to rent. It comes down to an Alfa Romeo 159 wagon and an Opel Zafira. I know that there is a chance we could get another vehicle in whichever class of auto we choose, so an exact rental may not happen. All in our party have promised to pack light. We have three, one week rentals, so we won't have to transport our luggage on a daily basis. When near cities, we will use public transportation rather than driving in the city. However, we anticipate traveling in the countryside on day trips from each location.

Is anyone familiar with either of these two vehicles? My biggest concern is room for luggage on our travel days. I have researched both vehicles online and have the "specs" of each, but there is nothing like a testimonial from someone who has ridden in one or both.

Thanks!

Posted by
240 posts

Jean, I have not driven either car, but just a quick word of advise!! Make sure you purchase the extra insurance!! We didn't plan on it, but we did..and are VERY glad! When we arrived in Rome and drove to Naples we had a small accident. We did not quite understand how to fill out the form located in the glove box, and when we called the local Hertz, the person did not understand english. So we worried for 3 weeks. When we returned, they told us at the airport there was not problem, do worry because EVERYTHING is covered..no one was hurt, but if they had been..we would have been covered!! Just be safe!

Posted by
2297 posts

Take the smallest car possible!!! Roads are narrow, traffic volume is high and parking scarce. Compare the outside dimensions, take the smaller one and tell everyone to really pack light. We had requested an Opel Astra, and in this size class eventually got a Fiat Bravo which is about the size of a VW Golf for the 4 of us. Much smaller than either car you're considering. But it did fit two 24" suitcases, one 23" suitcase and one 18" suitcase. Barely. And I can tell you it was one of the biggest cars around when we stayed in the Sorrento area. For a good reason! I've never seen that many Smart cars of Fiat 500 (the old one or the newly designed) as I did on our Italy trip.

Posted by
261 posts

Rent the Alpha. It's got great Italian styling! You'll look great driving down the Autostrada. We were supposed to rent an Alpha 147 but got a Fiat Bravo. The Bravo and the 147 were diesels. Something to consider with the Italian gas prices. The Bravo held 2 adults and 2 teens easily. Good Luck.

Posted by
1201 posts

Jean - We did not get those exact cars last year but we did get a Ford Focus wagon. I believe it is in the same class of car for size. There were five adults, five carryon size bags and maybe three small personal size items. Luggage fit ok. The car, as are I believe the ones you mentioned, is configured with two bucket seats up front and a bench seat in the back, luggage area behind. We all got in the thing, but the folks in the back were cozy. There was not any extra room for them. If you don't pack small, luggage might also be very tight.

Posted by
2297 posts

I second Margaret's suggestion to ask for a diesel. The prize of diesel is pretty much the same as for regular gasoline these days but you get MUCH better gas mileage from a diesel engine.

Posted by
10344 posts

I guess that's why they call them Smart cars. You laugh when you first see one. But then you drive and park in Italy, or Paris, etc.--and you see how they got the name.

Posted by
90 posts

We usually book our European auto rentals through gemut.com and AutoEurope. I know they have requested a diesel for us. Yes, the Alfa Romeo has a sleek look. That is the vehicle that Mr. Bestor from Gemut recommended for us.

As an aside, I have been reading through the 'To the Boot" boards tonight and I have to say how much I enjoy reading all of the posts. I especially enjoy the humor. Several times tonight I have burst out laughing and shared many humorous anecdotes with my husband. Entertainment and information, doesn't get better than that!!

Posted by
2207 posts

Jean - odds are extremely high that you WILL NOT get a specific car. as ordered - and that's often the case even with a US vendor such as Hertz or Avis. Those companies operate in name only - they are like Italian "franchises" and thus operate under some unique rules.

Once you get to your rental location, DO hold your ground for a car SIMILAR in size AND price as to what you reserved. The larger the rental location (major airport or train station) the more likely you will get your request or something similar.

I filled up my motorino today and gas was E1.53 a liter... that's a little more than $9.00 a gallon. Last week I rode with an embassy couple who have a Chrysler Town & Country Van... It cost them 105 Euros to fill up - that's more than $170 today! So, as suggested, get the smallest car you can and the most fuel efficient!

And of course, always get the Super CDW insurance!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
8293 posts

Hmmm... 5 adults and luggage in a car for 3 weeks. I think you'd be better off with 2 small cars, frankly.

Posted by
636 posts

We just returned last night from our 3.5 week trip (the first 15 days of which were spent in Italy). We rented a minivan as we were leaving Rome, drove up Vesuvius, to Sorrento, Florence, Vernazza, then returned the minivan when we arrived in Venice. We were supposed to get a 7-passenger minivan, but they ended up giving us a 9-seater diesel (a Renault Trafic).

While the vehicle was certainly large, we managed all the driving without even a scrape.

My feeling is to just get the smallest vehicle that is comfortable for you (realizing that you might end up with a larger one), and it will just work out fine.

Posted by
90 posts

You know Ron, you are absolutely right. There is no guarantee of what vehicle we will actually receive. So, I will continue to stress light packing with my traveling companions, reserve a Alfa Romeo 159 "class" of vehicle, and see what we get! All part of the traveling adventure. We don't have a long drive to any of our three accommodations during the trip, and as I said, once we arrive, we park the luggage and it will no longer be an issue.

Posted by
8293 posts

I see that no one has mentioned that Italian law requires that visitors to Italy must have an International Driving Permit when renting a car. You may know this already but thought it worth mentioning.

Posted by
12172 posts

I second the full CDW insurance. We leased a car and returned it without a scratch. It was an adventure however and I'm glad I had the insurance.

We leased a Renault Grand Scenic II. It's a seven passenger wagon-like car similar to the Zafira. We had myself, wife, two sons (16 and 12) and one daughter (8). We rode comfortably and had enough room for our one carry-on each. If we were adults or had more luggage, it would have been too small. I'm afraid you are going to be shocked when you try to fit five adults with luggage in anything smaller than a seven passenger van. Be sure to REALLY pack light or you may be driving with luggage on your lap.

It's true the roads are narrow. Any vehicle you rent there (except the full size vans or camper) is built lower and narrower to accomodate the tight driving.

I couldn't find a layout of the interior of the Alfa Romeo, does it have a third row of seats like the Opel? It looks like the Opel will be more comfortable for the passengers (more headroom and better windows for viewing scenery).

We had a manual transmission diesel which is a good package for fuel efficiency and per gallon cost. Diesels are great in Europe. If you can get one, take it. Manual transmission gets better mileage and gives you better acceleration with the smaller engines. Most American tourists want automatic so it's another way to save on the rental and save gas.

Posted by
90 posts

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the advice. We have asked for a manual, diesel auto. We won't have luggage with us all of the time. We are staying a week in each of three locations and doing day trips with and without the auto. We have the full CDW already on the reservation. We will have international drivers' licenses and I know about the road fees as well.

How long were you there? How does a lease work? I have scoured the internet and pulled up as many photos of both vehicles that I can find. I found the specs as well as far as size and capacity of the luggage areas. The Alfa Romeo definitely has less space than the Opel, and no third row as far as I can see. The thing is, as an earlier poster stated, there is a strong possibility that we won't even get either vehicle. We are essentially choosing a class. We have traveled a few times with four people in a Passat wagon. It was perfect. But the capacity of a Passat seems a little bigger than an Alfa Romeo.

Thanks again

Posted by
126 posts

We rented an Opel Zafira for Provence for 4 adult women. Our luggage fit fine in the back, of which we each had a medium size roller bag, and each a medium size shoulder bag/purse. I think you will be fine adding one more roller bag. The 3 people sitting in the back seat, will not be as comfortable as the 2 in the front, but its totally doable. We enjoyed the car and had no complaints. We rented from Hertz in Avignon.

Posted by
365 posts

Jean, we attempted to rent an Alfa 159 wagon last year in Italy and received a VW Passat wagon which is in the same class. Family of four, there was adequate room and it was ok. I have rented many cars in Europe in the last six years and my advice is the opposite of others answering your question...I say get the largest car you can afford. This may the Opel, it's unclear to me. We rented a Ford Mondeo wagon from Sixt in Avignon a few weeks ago and it was very nice and roomy but not a "big" car as it pertains to driveability. As you've noted, traveling around is not the criterion upon which to base your decision, it's when you're traveling with all your luggage where it matters. Either of your choices may be ok if you're willing to store things in passengers' laps and around the feet. Those stating you should get the smallest car possible have clearly not traveled in Europe with five people and luggage. And food. And souvenirs and whatnot. Being crammed is more stressful...fears about driving a "big" car in Italy have no basis except on the part of people who are not confident drivers in which case maybe someone else should be doing the driving.

As you've noted, you may not get the Alfa anyway and the Ford is the only time I've received the car I thought I'd get. My advice is to absolutely steer clear of anything smaller or you will have some unhappy passengers, in my opinion.