Please sign in to post.

taxi from airport

Would it be better for us to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel which is one mile from the Termini Station or take a bus from the Termini Station to our hotel.

Posted by
103 posts

Take the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini, 30 minute train ride for 11 euros (per person). From Termini, take a cab to your hotel. A mile in Rome with luggage and the competing cars, buses, cabs, all while trying to read a map will feel like five miles. Besides you'll arrive at your hotel more quickly and get settled so that you can start your sightseeing.

One VERY important tip about cabs in Rome . . . there are "fake" cabbies who will aggressively approach you when you come out of Termini. Ignore them and go straight for the yellow-signed TAXI stand and get into a cab that has a METER. When we arrived at Termini from the airport, we were approached by one of these rogue cabbies. When I asked the fare he said "35 euros." What's that . . . about $50 USD for a two mile cab ride! We went to the legit cabbie and paid 12 euros for our metered fare.

Posted by
23313 posts

Take the Leonard Express (train) and walk. If the bus goes by, use it. But a mile is not that far to walk. Suppose it depends on the amount of luggage. If it was us, we would walk.

Posted by
2297 posts

How many are in your group? As a single person you really save some money by using the train, as a couple less so. And with 3 people or more it's actually cheaper to pre-book a limousin service from the airport to the hotel than taking the train. We used www.romeshuttlelimousine.com and were very satisfied with them at only 35 Euro for the ride. A taxi would be more expensive than that.

Quite honestly, there is A LOT of walking to do when exploring Rome so I wouldn't want to add another mile with luggage to that, especially not when you're travelling in the summer and just had a long transatlantik flight.

Posted by
705 posts

Take the Leonardo express and then personally I'd get a cab to the hotel. It shouldn't cost much and a cabbie should know exactly where he is going.

Posted by
157 posts

I agree with the limo (hired car route) if there are enough people in your party that will probably work out ot be cheaper and even save time. With a small group the train from the airport is quite easy and then the bus (if light on luggage) is a fine way to go. I have walked that far with luggage after several hours of traveling - not the ideal thing to do but yet possible. One time I got into Rome and the taxis were on strike (big surprise) and it was too late to get a bus so walking was the only answer.

Posted by
64 posts

Suzanne,

We usually take a cab from the airport to the hotel. It may be a little more expensive than the train, but after a long flight, we just don't like dealing with the train crowds and getting luggage on/off the train. We have also pre-booked a shuttle service.

Debby