Please sign in to post.

19 nights sicily may 2025

Hi. We are flying in and out of Linate. We arrive 11 am on May 2. What time would be good to get a flight to Palermo? Would 3 be good? I know we need to go thruough customs/immigration and then have to exit and reenter airport.

For our 19 nights this is what I have so far. We don't plan to rent a car and may inquire about hiring a private driver to get us from Agrigento to Ortigia. I think the rest can be done via buses, trains or ferries.

We are 60 and pretty active but I'd like a bit of relaxation at end as we usually take "trips" and not "vacations" but getting older is requiring a bit slower day.

Palermo (4 nights) with day trip to Cefalu and Monreale
Agricento (1 or 2 nights) plan on staying in a B&b that is walkable so we can visit at dusk or early adn they serve dinner
Ortigia (7 nights) - Ragusa, Noto and Catania day trips inlcuding one to Aetna) would love any suggestions for a driver that could take us from Agricento to Ortigia
Milazzo 1 night
Lipari (4 nights) I would love to get ferry directly back to Palermo but can't find any May 2025 ferry schedules.
1 extra night assuming 2 in Agricento. Would be in either Palermo or Catania for flight back to Milan.

I prefer to base myself and not move around too much. Are we missing anything? Suggestions? Appreciate it.

Posted by
31 posts

Hi. We were hoping to take an arranged Etna tour from Catania. We'd do that from Ortigia.

I was wondering if a week in Ortigia would be too much. It looks so beautiful but without a car we are limited.

I was also wondering if I'd need an extra day or two in Palermo but it seems to be a love it/hate it place. Are you thinking Erice as a day trip from palermo?

Posted by
31 posts

I could also do a day trip to Aregnento from Palermo and it would be much easier to get to Ortigia or I could do Milazzo and Lipari after and then head to Ortigia...

Posted by
705 posts

Hi Pam, I did a 22 day trip around Sicily a few years back and relied mostly on busses and trains but I did use two different private drivers as well for specific daytrips. Like you, we wanted to get from Agrigento to Siracusa/Ortygia (but with a stop to tour the Villa Romana del Casale) by private driver. We used Roberto Sapone who was recommended to me here on this forum for that trip. Sapone websiteHe picked us up early in Agrigento, drove us to Piazza Armerina and to the nearby Villa Romana del Casale. There he waited for us as we toured the Villa. Then we drove on to Caltagirone where we stopped for a late lunch and a brief visit and then from there we went to our drop off point in Ortygia.

I would add your extra day to Palermo and I would suggest going to Segesta and/or Erice as a daytrip. Both are lovely places and worthy of your time. Segesta is harder to get to on public transportation. There should be daytrip small group tours that you can join for that or I can recommend Rosario Pizzuto. We hired him for a daytrip to take us to Segesta and Erice and Marsala. Rosario - NCC private driver in Palermo.

Posted by
31 posts

thanks so much for your response. would it be worth it to stay overnight in either erice or segesta or is it just easier to do this from palermo?

so I have seen some tours to etna-let me read the review and see i really am interested.  i think it was your trip report that I read that I found so helpful. did you stay 1 or 2 nights in agregento? worth it?

any idea when ferry schedule is posted for may 2025? it is a long ferrry back to palermo but it woudl be so much easier...

Posted by
705 posts

Pam, Segesta is in an isolated rural area so I do not recommend staying there, and again I think that without a car, that trip is not so easy on public transportation. I have been there twice and each time was with a private car. Erice is a very small, pretty, medieval mountaintop village with gorgeous panoramic views of the coastline below on a clear day. I am sure there are places to stay there but I don't think it is necessary. I would do them both as a daytrip from Palermo or alternatively visit them both from a base in Trapani. Sorry, but I have no knowledge of the ferry schedules for your Lipari trip and have never been there. But you can post your question on the Lipari or Palermo forum over on Tripadvisor if you don't get an answer here. There are several vey knowledgeable Sicilians that participate in those forums who may be able to help you.

Posted by
2657 posts

You can get by train to Ragusa and I would consider spending a couple of your nights now scheduled in Ortigia there. You can reach Palermo by bus from there.

Posted by
27591 posts

I stayed in Trapani and visited Erice from there. I believe there are other day-trip possibilities from Trapani.

I agree that you could use an extra day or two in Palermo.

Posted by
27591 posts

I say "yes". Four Nights is only three full days. Palermo is your first stop, so you may still be somewhat jetlagged on your first full day. Then you're going to Cefalu, where you could spend a lot of time, and Monreale, which could be close to a half day. All of that leaves precious little time for Palermo itself.

Do you have Rick's guide to Sicily? The first edition was released after my trip to Sicily, but I'm sure he does a good job of highlighting the island's key sights. For starters, Palermo has a good archaeological museum (so does Siracusa, and you probably don't need to see both of them), two interesting markets, dozens of churches and chapels and lots of street food to try.

Posted by
5286 posts

Pamela,

Milazzo 1 night
Lipari (4 nights) I would love to get ferry directly back to Palermo but can't find any May 2025 ferry schedules.
1 extra night assuming 2 in Agricento. Would be in either Palermo or Catania for flight back to Milan.

When I visited Sicily, back in 2018, my itinerary was similar to what you’re planning.
I visited Segesta and Erice while staying in Trapani.

I flew from Milan to Palermo, then back to Milan from Catania.
If this is what you’re considering, then you can take the ferry back to Milazzo and then take the train to Catania, or stay in Acireale for 1-2 nights before flying (back to Milan) from Catania.

I did not visit Etna but chose to visit Taormina instead (as a day trip from Acireale) as I was intrigued by what I’d read in guidebooks and websites about Sicily.

Here’s my trip report if you’re interested:
My trip to Sicily— In Zoe’s memory…

Enjoy your time in beautiful Sicily!

Edited to add…

Here’s the website for ferries to Lipari:
Liberty Lines.it.
My visit to Lipari was in May and there were several morning ferries from Milazzo.